• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can images delete themselves?

Neonite

Lurker
This happened a while ago but today i got concerned due to business and so, i've had some images just randomly vanish from my phone for no reason. They're not hidden, i did not delete them myself and it seems a unique problem because i couldn't find any info on it.

Phone: Galaxy S8

They're in neither the gallery, nor photos app. I've tried to even look through files myself and couldn't find them.
Possibly a bad sdcard.. I've certainly had a similar issue a cpl times and a new sdcard fixed it beautifully. Other than that, a kid or spouse/Sig.Other could be messing with it, Lol

Yeah, an image file can't delete itself, but there are quite a range of ways they could get lost, ranging from an inadvertent finger press through hostile action through to hardware failure.

If they are on a removable sd card, where did you buy it from? A long-running scam is hacking a smaller card to tell the device you put it in that it's larger than it is, then selling it as a high-capacity card. When you exceed the real capacity of the card the phone doesn't know it's full and so will overwrite existing data. Cards bought through under-regulated internet sites (eBay sellers, Chinese online markets, etc) are a high risk of this, but they occasionally make it into the supply chains of more reliable sources.

Yeah, photo files are just inert files, they are not executable so they cannot do anything to themselves. But it would help if you can clarify as to whether you're storing your photos in your S8's internal storage or on a microSD card.
If you check your Camera app's settings menu, what folder is it set to use as its default storage location?

Or do you utilize any kind of hidden folder app or Samsung's Secure Folder function? Also if those 'missing' photos have been inadvertently moved to a folder with a .nomedia file in it, that excludes that folder from being scanned and its contents being shown in apps like the Gallery app.

As a relevant aside, install the Google Photos app. It has an automatic backup & sync function that just runs in the background. It will upload your entire photo library up into your online Google account. You can use it as an alternative photo manager instead of the Gallery app but even if you do prefer the user interface in Gallery you can just leave the Google Photos app to do the automatic backups. Once set up and implemented you can access your photos either on your phone or by using the web interface on any online computer at:
https://photos.google.com
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US

i second using google photos....i never ever have to worry about losing my photos as they are automatically synced. i can go to any phone or pc and pull up my photos........provided that they have uploaded to cloud already.

and i have never heard of photos just randomly disappearing like that. like @Hadron said, unless it is an inadvertently done like in your pocket or something. have you tried hooking up the phone to the pc?

Back
Top Bottom