• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can no longer make outgoing calls via Bluetooth

I'll admit I don't make calls via Bluetooth very often, but I do know it used to work for me. Then last week I tried to make a call and nothing. This is with a Motorola device in my car. I can answer incoming calls with the device just fine, and when I went to check my voicemail (dialing from the phone's keypad), the audio played through the device. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy SIII, with Android 4.4.2.
Used to be that when I tried to make a call, the voice would ask for a command and I'd say call whoever yadda yadda. Now when I try, the phone puts up a window asking whether to use Google Search or S Voice. If I choose S voice, I get a message that no network can be found.
Thinking it might be the Motorola BT in my car I tried pairing the phone with a Jabra headset I have, and I get the same behavior. Oddly, if I hold the call button down on the Jabra, the phone calls voicemail; if I do that with the Motorola device, it calls Bing Information (or something similar.)
Any ideas? I've been through the settings and didn't find anything out of the ordinary, but I could certainly have missed something. The only new app that I've installed is Nine, to get my work email.
Thanks for any assistance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones