• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 be used as a smartphone?

jamesq324

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
I'm thinking of buying a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and I was wondering if it can be used as a "phablet". Meaning can I make calls with it, send and receive texts and pic mags, and just basic smartphone operations. I'm a big guy and need a big phone. But, the galaxy mega's I seem to keep finding on Craigslist are too expensive. Then I spotted a Galaxy Tab 3 for a reasonable price and got curious if I'd be able to use it as a phablet. If anybody knows and could let me know if it is possible and all the pros and cons of using the Galaxy Tab 3 as a phablet I'd really appreciate it.

There are apps that will let you send/receive texts and make calls, but I'm not sure you'd be able to rely on those instead of having an actual cell phone. Some are unreliable and most charge money, on top of whatever data package you're paying for. Or, if your Tab is WiFi only, there are many places (car, etc) where you wouldn't be able to have a connection.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of buying a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and I was wondering if it can be used as a "phablet". Meaning can I make calls with it, send and receive texts and pic mags, and just basic smartphone operations. I'm a big guy and need a big phone. But, the galaxy mega's I seem to keep finding on Craigslist are too expensive. Then I spotted a Galaxy Tab 3 for a reasonable price and got curious if I'd be able to use it as a phablet. If anybody knows and could let me know if it is possible and all the pros and cons of using the Galaxy Tab 3 as a phablet I'd really appreciate it.

3G Tab 3 7.0 White
Amazon.com: Samsung T211 Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 3g 850/1900 White: Computers & Accessories

or Black

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 3G T211 8GB-Black unlocked phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
You can use Hangouts and turn off the video and with wifi or data connection, instant smartphone. Same w/Viber or any other chat/phone app

I did use my tablet w/Google Voice and another app and turn it into a nice "phone" but that deadline is fast approaching.

Those prices are very high. The prices are dropping because the Tab 4 is coming out this summer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones