• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can this phone be "trusted"

sleemie

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't this Acer's first attempt at a phone? I know it's got nice specs and from what I've heard they make decent computers, but aren't they an unkown when it comes to phones?

Everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon for this one, do they know something I don't?

I'm not suggesting it's going to be a piece of crap, but others seem to have already made up their minds that if it's the right price and it initially performs up to expectations and gets good reviews for how it functions that that's the phone for them and they'll have no reservations about how it will hold up.

'They are unknown when it comes to phones' ?? Apple were also unknowns when they did the 1st iPhone....not that i'm suggesting Acer and Apple in the same class....but you get the idea.
I've been testing this unit for well over 2 months now and personally i've seen worse devices in the market. It definately isnt a flop if thats what vibes your gettin at. Priced right and they can be very popular.

Upvote 0
Good point! Although from what I remember I don't think people went hog wild on the iphone until the price came down a bit.

You've been testing this unit?? A liquid? I won't ask how you got your hands on one, but if you wanna volunteer that information...:D

I'm not suggesting it would be a flop, I'm just saying that they have no history of making phones so the quality of it is a big unknown, YET it seems lots of people have already decided that's the phone for them without giving it a period of "let's see how it holds up" kinda thing. I guess there's no fun in that, though. I mean if it ends up being as nice as they say and it comes to the right carrier, I'll probably jump on it also cuz I'm TIRED of waiting for the "right" phone to come along. I mean if this or the passion aren't THE phone for me, I may just have to go jump on a Droid.

Upvote 0
In some countries in Asia, devices are not neccesary tied to a particular carrier/isp. Consumers can buy the phone from any phone dealer and choose whichever carrier that tickles their fancy.
So diff country has different pricing sweetspots. If the liquid is priced about usd50 or less than a HTC Hero, it might end up being a very popular phone. CPU wise its pretty much top of the foodchain now. The snapdragon is certainly snappy running the current donut but i'm sure when it launches every owner will be looking for ways to put Android 2.0 on it - i certainly will.
No one can deny that Android is the next 'big' thing. It took them all just a year with only a handful models to get from 0% to <4% total smartphone market share. I'm sure you can deduce the rest down the road.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for a while for this phone and after all the reviews & research, went ahead and bought it from an ebay seller (brand new). It was a AAP_CSL (Asia/Pacific locale) phone (manufactured 12/2009), I went and downloaded Acer Tools and reflashed the ROM to a more up-to-date EMEA_CUS (Europe/Western/US) model. (still 1.6) The phone works well so far. Very good price (about $350 unlocked) for specs that are above most other phones in this range.

HTC was unknown before the G1 & myTouch. Every company has to start somewhere. And actually Acer had quite a bit of experience making hardware in laptops and netbooks, so they have the experience, Android provides the software. Actually I noticed the camera app on the stock ROM actually is pretty decdent, it allows autofocus or fixed to inifinity, ISO 100-800, contrast/brightness, a few filter effects, and the latest 1.6 ROM added VGA recording (originally only QVGA I think).

If the rumors that Acer is going to release an Android 2.1 ROM for the original Liquid A1 then that would be icing on the cake. It's very likely since the new Liquid E supposedly runs on the exact same hardware, just upgraded software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones