• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can you change what first use of the keyboard does?

krazyglue

Lurker
As you slide open the keyboard and begin typing, it goes to some sort of search function. What I would like it to do is go to "create new message" or some kind of messaging function. Is there a way to change it to this? thank you!

I do not think there is a way to change this. But an alternative to this would be to add the widget called 'Type & Send' which is pre installed to the device. Then simply tap in the widget on the home screen and begin typing. Once finished click share and you can send it as an email, facebook status or a message.

Or if you just slide the keyboard out and press the 'm' key, the first option that appears is messaging which upon clicking will open your messages. Or if you have installed your own messaging app such as handcent you can press 'h' which will show handcent as the first option.

much appreciated for the well informing and quick responses. I have just gotten used to using it as a search function now and like it even better! thanks :)

If you're willing to change to an alternative launcher, to one that supports* opening apps by swiping, that would be perhaps even easier. That's the fastest way to me.

* AWD.Launcher, Go Launcher EX at least.

Back
Top Bottom