• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can you get Root with 1.2 without adding a ROM?

Jerry-rigged

Android Enthusiast
Howdy-

I am still trying to figure out how to get my NC to boot off a SD with android on it. Most all the instructions start with "first make sure your NC is rooted"... then refer me to a thread that installs Cyanogen or some other ROM...

Is there a way to root and keep the "stock" BN 1.2?

So Manual-nooter will give me root'ed, but otherwsie stock 1.2? For some reason I thought it also loaded CM7 or something...

Thanks!

So Manual-nooter will give me root'ed, but otherwsie stock 1.2? For some reason I thought it also loaded CM7 or something...

Thanks!

No, it pretty much retains stock and only adds the files needed for root plus zeam launcher and access tot he market.

Because of the Zeam Launcher it will look a little different than 100% stock, but you're still on the stock ROM.

i would highly recommend romming. its not about the theming for me, its about the speed increase and full internet.

Thanks!

No but to use that method you need to make SD card flashable and I believe its referred to as cm flashable (or something silly sounding like that)

I have booted from an SD card and also rooted internally. There is no comparison in performance. Rooting internally is far better.

Yep, I read that site a lot... A lot of the discussion is over my head, though, so I have not posted there...

I think there may be a bit of confusion, which for a Monday morning on only one cup of regular coffee is outstanding.

There are actually four options being discussed here:

1. Leave the Nook Color alone. Do nothing but happily read B&N books magazines and use the three overpriced apps from their little boutique app market.

2. Completely remove the B&N version of Android and replace it with a custom rom like CM7 or Phiremod turning it into a fully functional Android Tablet.

3. Root the Nook Color but leave the B&N Version of Android in place giving you the option to use it as a stock Nook but having access to the market and apps.

4. Leave the B&N Android system untouched and boot a full version of Android from the SD card.

Now, if the caffeine is properly interacting with my neurons by now, You wish to do #4, but you are using the instructions for #3 to accomplish it. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll switch to amphetamines.

If you simply wish to boot the stock Nook Color from the MicroSD card, there are pretty simple instructions here: Run Android Froyo 2.2 from bootable SD card on Nook Color using Windows ? Step by step guide | Inspired Geek

If you actually want to root and/or flash a custom rom, then Manual Nooter will give you root and CyanogenMod will instruct you how to flash a custom rom.

Lunatic59-

Thanks for the link. That is the same basic process I have been using. I will download their version of NF and see if that helps...

I currently have #1, and don't like it.

What I really want to do is #4, but I can't seem to get the NC to boot off the card.

I gave up on #4, and last night, tried #3. Still have the same problem, the NC won't boot rom the SD.

I think my problem is with the imaging of the SD card, I don't know how to make a bootable image. I started a new thread, to address this issue:Jerry is a moreon

Back
Top Bottom