• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you transfer your phone number *after* you've already activated T-Mobile service?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
I just discovered that Sprint no longer offers the yearly upgrades for Gold members, which is basically the main reason I've stuck with them for so long and didn't want to switch services. But now I don't know if it's worth staying with just crappy service with no extra benefits.

So I'm curious about T-Mobile's new plans and I'm thinking I might try it out for a bit just to see if the coverage is good in my area (Houston). But if I do this, I wouldn't immediately cancel Sprint and transfer my number, so I'm wondering, if I get a new phone and number with T-Mobile, and end up liking the service, can I then transfer my Sprint number to this same phone later?

Thanks.

I carried both my Virgin Mobile and TMobile phones for a while before I decided to port over.

I just discovered that Sprint no longer offers the yearly upgrades for Gold members, which is basically the main reason I've stuck with them for so long and didn't want to switch services. But now I don't know if it's worth staying with just crappy service with no extra benefits.

So I'm curious about T-Mobile's new plans and I'm thinking I might try it out for a bit just to see if the coverage is good in my area (Houston). But if I do this, I wouldn't immediately cancel Sprint and transfer my number, so I'm wondering, if I get a new phone and number with T-Mobile, and end up liking the service, can I then transfer my Sprint number to this same phone later?

Thanks.

There shouldn't be any problems since it's your number. No one else has access to it

So that means that even if my T-Mobile phone has a new number, I can later cancel that number and switch to my original Sprint number on the new phone?

I carried both my Virgin Mobile and TMobile phones for a while before I decided to port over.
Im doing that right now with my boost number.
I got t mobile in feb and I like it so Im porting my boost phone number.

So that means that even if my T-Mobile phone has a new number, I can later cancel that number and switch to my original Sprint number on the new phone?
Yes, my t mobile currently has a number on it, though to do this after using the sim for a time you will need to contact customer service, there does not appear to be a way to do it yourself over the net.

Im doing that right now with my boost number.
I got t mobile in feb and I like it so Im porting my boost phone number.

Yes, my t mobile currently has a number on it, though to do this after using the sim for a time you will need to contact customer service, there does not appear to be a way to do it yourself over the net.

Hmm, having used CDMA for the past 12 or so years, I have no clue about GSM/SIM stuff. What will be the differences, or will I not really notice any difference?

Hmm, having used CDMA for the past 12 or so years, I have no clue about GSM/SIM stuff. What will be the differences, or will I not really notice any difference?
Mostly you will not notice it at all.
One interesting benefit to GSM you can be on a voice call and still browse the web, when connected to mobile network not just while on wifi.

Oh and with T mobile at least using hspa+ data speeds are very good. As an example the sprint 3g (boost uses sprints network) the best evdo rev.A speeds are under 3mbs down. Or close to that I think I seen a best of 2.2mbs with upload around 1mbs up. With T mobile I see 14mbs down and 2 up consistently. Again this is with the 3G networks, LTE is another matter. I am uncertain of Sprints lte as its still new and I have never looked into it. there wimax was about 4-5mbs down maybe 2-3 up.
Verizons LTE is fast but I dont know much about it either. T Mobile is just rolling out there LTE and with fewer subscribers on it the speeds are very fast how much they will drop is unknown but in markets they have released LTE people are getting 25-60mbs down and 8-25mbs up.

As a general rule, you won't notice a difference. Their are some technical differences and one of the biggest is that the carrier information on a CDMA phone is programmed directly into the phone, whereas on a GSM phone it is put on a SIM card and then the SIM is placed in the phone.

One advantage to this is that your account with T-Mobile is not tied to the phone, like it is with Sprint/Verizon/Metro. If you want to change phones, you can just move the SIM to the new phone and start using the phone, you don't need to contact T-Mobile.

As a general rule, you won't notice a difference. Their are some technical differences and one of the biggest is that the carrier information on a CDMA phone is programmed directly into the phone, whereas on a GSM phone it is put on a SIM card and then the SIM is placed in the phone.

One advantage to this is that your account with T-Mobile is not tied to the phone, like it is with Sprint/Verizon/Metro. If you want to change phones, you can just move the SIM to the new phone and start using the phone, you don't need to contact T-Mobile.
yes this ^
one major benefit. To go along with what he said I heard about someone that used a older non smart phone while on the job, construction I think and then when he got home put the sim in his nice new smart phone that way if he broke his work phone no problem.

yes this ^
one major benefit. To go along with what he said I heard about someone that used a older non smart phone while on the job, construction I think and then when he got home put the sim in his nice new smart phone that way if he broke his work phone no problem.

It's probably just how bad Sprint or my old phone was... But when I switched to T-Mobile (via Solavei) I noticed that quiet parts of phone calls were much quieter. At first, when no one was talking I kept thinking I'd dropped calls - because it sounded silent like my Sprint phone when it dropped calls. I'm used to it now and have stopped asking people if they're still there.

Thanks guys! I'm really tempted to give T-Mobile a try, mainly because my Sprint service just seems so bad no matter where I go throughout Houston. (One area had download speeds of 25+ Mbps, but other than that, sometimes it's no better than 3G, which itself is also awful -- usually less than 1 Mbps).

Assuming there are no extra charges on T-Mobile, I guess it's also cheaper, given that Sprint charges the $10 4G fee. I suppose it's worth a shot, since I no longer get any benefits for having been with Sprint for so long...as long as I don't lose my number.

Assuming there are no extra charges on T-Mobile, I guess it's also cheaper, given that Sprint charges the $10 4G fee. I suppose it's worth a shot, since I no longer get any benefits for having been with Sprint for so long...as long as I don't lose my number.

What T-Mobile plan are you looking at?

Thanks guys! I'm really tempted to give T-Mobile a try, mainly because my Sprint service just seems so bad no matter where I go throughout Houston. (One area had download speeds of 25+ Mbps, but other than that, sometimes it's no better than 3G, which itself is also awful -- usually less than 1 Mbps).

Ok I called t-mobile gave them my account info my pin(for the boost phone #) last night at 8-9 pm maybe, this morning at 8am my number was switched got the t mobile text and rebooted the phone and the new number showed up in the info.
Again I had to call in because I was not putting it on a new activation. they had to keep it on my current account with them.
I am on the $30 100 min unlimited text and web plan that has 5gbs at 4g and throttled after 5gbs. I dont know for sure if it will be enough mins for me, depends if I get VOIP set up or how much taking I do. I would hate to switch up for higher priced plan then find I dont use more mins :p

What T-Mobile plan are you looking at?

Well, I may start out with the $50 individual plan (the one with 500MB), just to test the 3G and 4G speeds and see if I like the coverage. If I feel comfortable with it, I'll probably then upgrade to either the $60 2GB plan, or the $70 unlimited plan.

Start with the $30 plan to test

No reason not to test with the $30 plan. I tested GrooveIP and while it was solid on wifi, I found it too inconsistent on mobile data. YMMV.

Since I needed more minutes I decided to go with Solavei. It's $49 (before taxes) for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB. They are also doing a referral program which can effectively lower this rate. Since I don't need the truly unlimited data of the $70 plan, this was the best value for me.

Ok I called t-mobile gave them my account info my pin(for the boost phone #) last night at 8-9 pm maybe, this morning at 8am my number was switched got the t mobile text and rebooted the phone and the new number showed up in the info.
Again I had to call in because I was not putting it on a new activation. they had to keep it on my current account with them.
I am on the $30 100 min unlimited text and web plan that has 5gbs at 4g and throttled after 5gbs. I dont know for sure if it will be enough mins for me, depends if I get VOIP set up or how much taking I do. I would hate to switch up for higher priced plan then find I dont use more mins :p

Just remember, as long as you keep money in your account, any minutes over 100 are charged at 10 cents a minute. Basically, so long as you use under 300 minutes you still are cheaper with the $30 plan -- especially considering the $50 plan only has 500 MB of 4G/3G data.

This is what I'm planning to do when I receive my Nexus 5.. starting the $30/mo 100 min 5gb plan then transferring my number from VM.

Back in 2011, when I was switching from STI Mobile (which had no smartphones) to Virgin Mobile, STI told me I had to wait 2 weeks for them to get my account number to make the transfer (total BS.) I ended up losing the cell number I had for years not knowing you can transfer the number after starting service.

This is what I'm planning to do when I receive my Nexus 5.. starting the $30/mo 100 min 5gb plan then transferring my number from VM.

Back in 2011, when I was switching from STI Mobile (which had no smartphones) to Virgin Mobile, STI told me I had to wait 2 weeks for them to get my account number to make the transfer (total BS.) I ended up losing the cell number I had for years not knowing you can transfer the number after starting service.

You should be able to transfer your number whenever you are ready. I think technically the number transfer is only free for the first 30 days after you activate your SIM; then again, I've never heard of anyone being charged for transferring their number.

Back
Top Bottom