• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot download to the specified location

Rgarner

Android Expert
Just what is that supposed to mean? I was attempting to get an ebook when that happened. I tried more than once. Then I moved some files to sd in order to make room. That didn't work either. I also checked under both downloads and books, of course without any luck. It's a low level Samsung, A02s, which I got at (where else) Walmart just before last Christmas. Something that costs about $53 might not be worth that much.

What file are you downloading into?

Are you using the SD card as default storage (NO!)?

What app are you using to download, and which folder is it set to download into?

That's the thing. I have no idea. It doesn't say what the location is or how it's (not) doing this. I wish I could download directly to sd. I sure would. That way I could just bypass any pesky overloaded internal gobbledygook. I suppose that's a privilege reserved for the rooted, if even they are that lucky...

Whether you can specify the download destination depends on the app you are using to do the downloading. So that's the first question, what is doing the downloading? Have you checked the app's settings to see whether it allows you to specify the download location.

Of course any app should be able to download to its own data space, or a public location like "Downloads". Ironically it would need to request access to write to arbitrary locations on a microSD card.

also check permissions. If you don't give this app storage permission it won't be able to write to storage and present you with this error. Unless it's some badly coded app, it should have asked for permissions to storage on first-launch.

You can check in settings under applications. Find the app, tap it, and look at 'permissions'. if it says 'no permissions granted' you need to tap that and enable 'storage' permission and try downloading the ebook again.

I'm going out on a limb and assuming you're either using Aldiko, Amazon Kindle, or Google Books. Those apps don't save to a specific location; only their own sandboxed app data.

I gave it permission to use storage. Now it claims it's downloading, but if a file says 0 bytes, isn't it useless? I just moved some more to sd in order to make room. Can I PLEASE save directly to sd?

Y
I gave it permission to use storage. Now it claims it's downloading, but if a file says 0 bytes, isn't it useless? I just moved some more to sd in order to make room. Can I PLEASE save directly to sd?

You do not want to save directly to SD cards.
If the file is corrupt, then you have wasted two read/write cycles of that card.
(One to save it, and another to delete it.)

This is why you should save to internal, look over the file(s), make sure they are complete and wanted, and then copy them to the SD.

Then, to be really safe, double check the file(s) that you just copied to the card for errors and whatnot.

Only after this verification should the file(s) in internal memory be deleted.

I am most guilty of just moving files instead of copying them.

I will admit that the success rate is very high, but there is always that one file that will get away- corrupted during the move and now lost forever.

Back
Top Bottom