• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot move apps to SD card (prevented by OS)

MindALot

Lurker
Model : LG VM701 (Optimus Slider / Virgin Mobile)
Android : 2.3.4

Things I've tried
app2SD or some variants : This doesn't give me any more options than what the settings gives me.

I tried using adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
and this failed (killed)

I tried using LG's mobile support tool to attempt to see if there were any upgrades/updates I could do, but even after installing the specified USB device driver, the software failed to detect the phone (debugger mode on/off : usb mass storage off, no option to select LG/PC software)

I have not rooted the phone.
I cannot run su from within a shell (permission denied)

I'm not sure what to try next.

It's really annoying, I have about 10 megs free on the internal memory and about 1 gig on the SD card, yet I can't seem to move anything to it (well, parts of a few things, but nothing significant).

Thanks for any thoughts!

Model : LG VM701 (Optimus Slider / Virgin Mobile)
Android : 2.3.4

Things I've tried
app2SD or some variants : This doesn't give me any more options than what the settings gives me.

I tried using adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
and this failed (killed)

I tried using LG's mobile support tool to attempt to see if there were any upgrades/updates I could do, but even after installing the specified USB device driver, the software failed to detect the phone (debugger mode on/off : usb mass storage off, no option to select LG/PC software)

I have not rooted the phone.
I cannot run su from within a shell (permission denied)

I'm not sure what to try next.

It's really annoying, I have about 10 megs free on the internal memory and about 1 gig on the SD card, yet I can't seem to move anything to it (well, parts of a few things, but nothing significant).

Thanks for any thoughts!
You need to be rooted to do this. Then use link2sd. Look under all things root for the optimus v (not the slider)for a detailed guide. I did this with my wife's slider, kind of a pain but managed to free up about 85mb. Just make sure you dont link facebook, terminal emulators, or any widgets you use alot or you will invite constant force closures. I ended up installing the mobster rom with gingerkernel and works better than stock but space is always an issue with this phone.

Back
Top Bottom