• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot turn off "Stay Awake"

heat57

Android Enthusiast
Since updating to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 every time I reboot I have to manually turn off the "Stay Awake" function in Developer Options in order to stop the screen from staying on when the phone is on charge - it is driving me nuts. Isn't there a way to stop this? The tick magically reappears after every reboot.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I have developers options turned on or off and whether USB debugging is on or off. I am on Stock JB, rooted with twrp 2.2 recovery.

Any comments would be appreciated.;)

No power managers, no tweaks - just stock JB and kernel and rooted as already described. On every reboot the phone 'forgets' that the tick was removed previously.

I had the identical problem and after days of frustration, which included wiping my phone, I finally found that the Extended Controls app was the culprit. It presents itself as a very strange problem in that the "developer options" box indicates that it is "off" and yet there's a bright green check mark on the "stay awake" box. Turning developer options on and then off again corrects the problem until the next boot. Uninstalling Extended Controls instantly resolved the isue for me.

I had the identical problem and after days of frustration, which included wiping my phone, I finally found that the Extended Controls app was the culprit. It presents itself as a very strange problem in that the "developer options" box indicates that it is "off" and yet there's a bright green check mark on the "stay awake" box. Turning developer options on and then off again corrects the problem until the next boot. Uninstalling Extended Controls instantly resolved the isue for me.

OMG Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

This has been bugging the living crap our of me for a while now. Deleted extended controls and no longer have the issue. Must have came from an update because it didn't used to do that.

I must say that sometimes the most pleasant surprises come from the mos unexpected directions. Thank you, this drove me completely nuts as I had extended controls installed on every device and thought this was a JB issue; I guess I should have tried to think of it myself.

I suspect that EC may also be responsible for another issue inflicting devices with JB and EC installed and that is WiFi dropping out over night, although sleep policy is set to never (for WiFi). I am testing this and report back. All-in-all I'm a happy chappy thanks to you. :p

Pleased that I could be of help to all of you.

I think you're right, heat57, about the relationship of the app to wifi dropouts. Although I had the phone for only a few days before discovering and resolving the EC issue, I did notice nighttime wifi dropouts prior to the app's removal but haven't since.

I have the same problem, slightly different.
Before I was on jellybean I had this option switched off.. so the screen would go off after the timeout even if the phone was plugged in.
After upgrading to jellybean, the stay awake option is grayed out !
I have developer options enabled. All the other options are available , just not this one.
Two closest options I have installed that might affect this are screebl and switchpro.
Going to uninstall these and report back.

edit: neither one was the cause...

I must say that sometimes the most pleasant surprises come from the mos unexpected directions. Thank you, this drove me completely nuts as I had extended controls installed on every device and thought this was a JB issue; I guess I should have tried to think of it myself.

I suspect that EC may also be responsible for another issue inflicting devices with JB and EC installed and that is WiFi dropping out over night, although sleep policy is set to never (for WiFi). I am testing this and report back. All-in-all I'm a happy chappy thanks to you. :p

FYI I had this issue well before I got JB.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am still afflicted by something similar to this.
My "stay awake" is grayed, so I can't turn it on.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am still afflicted by something similar to this.

Well, as far as my particular problem is/was concerned, the answer is yes. I uninstalled the offending app (Extended Controls) and never had the issue again. After several weeks without EC I thought I test it again and reinstalled the app, only for the problem to re-occur. I'm now without it again and have found a 'free' solution which works equally well, although it's not visually quite as appealing, but other than that it works just as well. It is called Power Controls and available from the PlayStore.

I still have this as well.
send me a list of your installed apps and I will compare with mine. You can send private msg.

Back
Top Bottom