• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot update

nzap85

Lurker
So I destroyed my stock rom, used xxmoons root guide. My phone is rooted and running, however I cannot system update, verification problem, nor update magisk without getting stuck in bootloop. Any gurus wanna take a crack at either problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

do you have a custom recovery? if so then all you need to do is flash a custom rom. most of the time firmware updates will not work on a rooted rom. or if you can flash a firmware you run the risk of unrooting it, or loosing root access and custom recovery.

can you access recovery? and how exactly did the phone get this way?

Yes it was flashed with a custom rom provided by xxmoon on xda. I tried his process, but I ended up wiping the stock rom without backing it up, and unnsin helped me get in edl and flash custom and root with the edl bat tool. I have TWRP installed with the custom rom. I uninstalled magisk and tried to reinstall the updated version to no avail. When I try to upgrade through the app it puts me into bootloop. So I reflashed the custom and got root back. Either way, with or without root I cannot update the system, it just says verification problem/error I'm guessing for the custom rom. I tried to find a stock rom on zte website but apparently they don't have it anymore because it isn't listed for the z982. Missing any details?

ok well u do not need to update the phone while you are rooted. why do you want to update? just flash a custom rom. also if you have not already i would make a nandroid backup before doing anything else. nandroid backups are your friend. if something gets messed up and as long as you can get into recovery you can just restore back. a nandroid backup is like a save point in a video game. mess up and you can just go back.

Ok, I'll check into nandroid backups. So that doesn't jeopardize the security to not be updated? And what about magisk? I mean root is root, if I don't really need to update I'll quit worrying about it, it would just be nice knowing everything was up to date.

Ok, I'll check into nandroid backups. So that doesn't jeopardize the security to not be updated? And what about magisk? I mean root is root, if I don't really need to update I'll quit worrying about it, it would just be nice knowing everything was up to date.
depending on the rom most will add any updates to it. it does depend on the developer. even if you updated lets say, once you flash another custom rom it deletes any of those updates. i would not worry about updates and such to be honest. otherwise you will have to unroot the phone and then flash the update and just stay unrooted.

Okay, so if I were interested in learning how to customize update and upgrade my own ROMs where would be a good place to start learning the Android OS?

Try contacting the developer of that root guide and ROM that you used to root and flash your phone. Perhaps they can point you to deeper info on your model.

In a nutshell, my root was never intended to be used on any update build other than B20. Any newer update make the system buggy. If you want the update, you will need to abandon root.

Back
Top Bottom