• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot upgrade to gingerbread with ATT

I am trying to install the official version of gingerbread for ATT. I downloaded the Kies Mini software and drivers, and followed the instructions here:

SAMSUNG

When I run Kies mini it says to connect the phone. When I connect it nothing ever happens.

Question: Should I connect using "Kies(firmware update)" or "USB debugging"? I tried both and neither worked.

I've tried removing the sd card, doing a factory reset, and reinstalling Kies mini. Nothing seems to work.

Suggestions?

John

OP -
1) Remove your external SD card before doing the upgrade
2) Make sure you put your phone into DEBUG mode before connecting it to the computer. SETTING > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > USB DEBUGGING.
3) After the upgrade is complete MAKE SURE you turn this OFF USB DEBUGGING.

Some caveats...

You will have to reinstall all your widgets onto your launcher.

My Captivate constantly auto-rebooted after updating to Gingerbread...[I also had problems with Froyo with severe lag and *frequent* auto-reboots]

So after updating to Gingerbread, I factory reset the phone. Highly recommend this BUT would counsel you to back up all your APKs (and data) before doing the wipe. Just makes it easier to reinstall them after the wipe than hunting for them in the Market. I wish I had done this before I wiped my phone. My PAID apps through the Market showed up through MARKET > MY APPS...But I had to hunt down all my free apps.

My Captivate works great now. No lag. However, I decided to stay with the stock launcher (TouchWiz) instead of reinstalling GOLauncher, which may have contributed to a lot of my lag issues. I also decided not to reload all the apps I had before...

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones