• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't charge phone in car

skeelo

Phone will only maintain current battery level if hooked up to car charger. Bought new 2.4amp usb adapter for cig port too and tried multiple cables. What's wrong here?

Do the cables work with your wall charger at home? If they do, the cigar charger might be the culprit.

Please provide the make and actual model I.D. for the adapter. There are a lot of bargain bin specials out there that may have a label on them stating they can provide up to 2.4 amps but are only 1 amp knock-offs.

The one is a Blackweb 4.8amp dual port charger. Other is nulaxy bluetooth adapter w/ 2.1amp port. I've also tried two others that I don't know the brands.

So going through the process of elimination, if you've tried different adapters and different USB cables that rules either of being the source of the problem. That leaves either some issue with the cigarette port or your J7. Those cigarette ports being pretty generic I can't think of some problem that would cause it to only provide a minimal amount of power. Regarding your phone, assuming it charges normally at home, do you often use it doing things on it that equate in some way to what you do with in your car? Which leads to the next question, are you using it do play music and navigation, or is it idle with the screen in sleep mode?

It's the freakin usb adapters. I got an app called Charging time that shows the mA output when charging. Both my adapters wouldn't output more than 100mA. I tried my pop's phone charger and was getting 400-500mA and phone would gain charge. Granted two of the adapters I was using were old as hell and probably not more than 1A, the claimed amperage of the bluetooth adapter port as well as the new dual USB port are a total freakin lie!

Back
Top Bottom