• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't connect to freenode irc anymore with the thunderbolt?

crimton

Android Expert
when i had my incredible i could connect to freenode channels all the time using any of the market clients without any kind of authentication required. now it says sasl required and i get an error every time. androirc is the only client i see that supports sasl and it won't let me connect either. could anyone else confirm this for me? its really not a huge deal but its the little things that really bother me. thanks

You should just need to specify your nickserv nickname and password, as well as the mechanism (both plain and blowfish are supported) in andoirc (under the SASL settings) to connect.

I'm not sure why you're being required to use SASL in this case though.

Well, we figured this out. SASL on freenode requires you use your primary nick, not any grouped nickname you may have. So to use SASL use your primary nick, password, and it should work.

Well, we figured this out. SASL on freenode requires you use your primary nick, not any grouped nickname you may have. So to use SASL use your primary nick, password, and it should work.
And if you're new to Freenode and don't have a username/password yet? How do you register? All the documentation I've found so far says "type /msg nickserv help", which is ridiculous because you have to be registered and connected to do that.

I was having the same problem until recently. The way I solved it was by hopping to the freenode website anf using their webchat. Don't forget to validate your email.

Back
Top Bottom