• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't decide between the S22 Ultra or the Z Fold 4

Currently using a Note 10+ for the last 2.5 years. I use my phone for all the basics like email and text. Also use it for fantasy sports, a lot of video streaming, most of it is live sports, some light gaming, kodi, nothing to crazy. I am unable to split view screen when using Kodi on my Note 10+ which is annoying because I'd like to have my fantasy football app on one screen and kodi on the other.

Opinions on the crease in the middle of the screen would be greatly Appreciated. Also would like to know if you recommend getting an S-pen.

Currently using a Note 10+ for the last 2.5 years. I use my phone for all the basics like email and text. Also use it for fantasy sports, a lot of video streaming, most of it is live sports, some light gaming, kodi, nothing to crazy. I am unable to split view screen when using Kodi on my Note 10+ which is annoying because I'd like to have my fantasy football app on one screen and kodi on the other.

Opinions on the crease in the middle of the screen would be greatly Appreciated. Also would like to know if you recommend getting an S-pen.
i have the z fold 3 and i love it. the crease you hardly notice when it is unfolded especially when you watch or stream a movie. you mostly notice it when you are on the home screen. it really is not an issue for me. i was thinking about the z fold 4, but there was only slight improvement from the fold 3. the only thing is having a case to hold the stylus sucks. the new standing cover for the fold 4 looks pretty sweet.

it is expensive, but just unfolding the phone makes it worth it. be prepared to get looks and stares as you unfold the phone.

Upvote 0
i have the z fold 3 and i love it. the crease you hardly notice when it is unfolded especially when you watch or stream a movie. you mostly notice it when you are on the home screen. it really is not an issue for me. i was thinking about the z fold 4, but there was only slight improvement from the fold 3. the only thing is having a case to hold the stylus sucks. the new standing cover for the fold 4 looks pretty sweet.

it is expensive, but just unfolding the phone makes it worth it. be prepared to get looks and stares as you unfold the phone.

So there is a case for the Fold 4 that holds the stylus??

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can only rain on this parade as a matter of personal experience: while the Z Fold 4 is an excellent device, it also has issues.

Yes, the crease is less noticeable, but it's still there.
The front panel is still too narrow to use effectively as a phone.
Worst, Z Fold devices, including the 4, plummet in value faster than a new car driven off the dealer lot. If I wanted to, I couldn't do a lateral trade of my Z Fold 4 for a Galaxy S23 Ultra - because the value of the Fold 4 is far less. In just these few months!

Yes, it's a powerhouse and a conversation starter. Just don't expect to recoup any of your money from it when you go to sell it. I'll be watching the Z Fold 5 development very closely and if I'm not impressed, I'll close this chapter of my 14-year Android adventure and switch to either the S23 Ultra or wait to see what the S24 Ultra offers.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As much as I love the extra screen real estate on that main display, I think the Z Fold 4 is my last foldable... at least for the time being.

The Darling Bride finally retired my old Note 10+ and got the S23 Ultra: while the S Pen slot is on the wrong (left) side of the phone, that's not bound to change any more than the microSD slot disappearing. The phone, however, is amazing. Incredible cameras, huge display, vibrant colors... did I mention the S Pen slot???

I got a harsh case of phone envy. YES: me, a Z Fold 4 owner, was actually tempted to jump ship to the S23 Ultra right then! Why?

Because I made the mistake of looking at the resale value of Z Fold 3 and 4 devices. Their prices drop as soon as the box is opened... oftentimes before then. By the time my phone was barely 4 months old, it had lost over half its original value: in pristine condition!

I love the onboard S Pen and refuse to ride this wave any further - if the Z Fold 5 doesn't have an S Pen silo (and there is nothing to suggest it will), I'll either trade my current Fold 4 for an S23 Ultra or, maybe, wait and see if Samsung has any more tricks up its sleeve for the S24 Ultra. Now if we could just convince Samsung to get away from the S-series' in-display fingerprint sensor and put it back on the power button!

Upvote 0
My 2-year flirtation with foldables is ending. While it's still the best phone I've ever owned, the Z Fold 4 is just too thick to fit into many of the specialized phone mounts I have. I'm selling it and getting a Galaxy S23 Ultra like the Darling Bride's. It'll be the first candybar phone I've owned since the Note 10+! That's really the big complaint I have with the Z Fold (well, that and their plummeting values) and wish you all well with the Z Fold 5 or whatever you end up with. It's an awesome device!

UPDATE:

I put my Z Fold 4 on ebay with a 10-day auction; and it's heartbreaking how the Z Folds drop half their value as soon as the seal on the box is broken. A phone not even 9 months old is lucky to draw $850... I'm quite happy with the S23 Ultra. I vaguely recall the huge screen, but this screen is more than adequate and this onboard S Pen makes up for it. I'm glad you folks love the Z Fold: but keep it until it wears out because the resale value will disappoint you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones