• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't figure out what is causing "Low Space"

CarSho56

Lurker
I have been getting the "Low Space, Phone storage is getting low message" however I can't figure out what is taking up space.
-I have about 5 apps on my phone that I have had for some time now without getting the message.
-I have a minimal amount of pics and txts as I have deleted most in an effort to clear up space.
-I have cleared caches
-I have moved apps to SD card
-I have restarted phone
-I haven't downloaded anything extra
-I have looked at the amount of space is being taken up by apps and nothing is different or larger than it normally is.

I would rather not do a hard reset...does any one have any suggestions?

This is the main reason why I went away from the Vortex and I'm now on a Droid X2. For someone that probably isn't going to use it except for email, light web browsing, and texting, it's probably fine. But, I'm a power user and this phone is NOT for someone who wants to load a lot of apps, do major emailing and texting, etc.

I know that if you store too many text messages, it WILL fill up your internal memory. Also, cache is something else that can eat up space, especially if you browse the web a lot, etc.

Getting a program like 1Tap Cache Cleaner can help out sometimes. You can get it in market here: https://market.android.com/details?...wxLDEsImNvbS5hMHNvZnQuZ3Bob25lLmFjYy5mcmVlIl0.

I've also found that various apps can suck up space if you don't know about it. Plants vs. Zombies is notorious for that. The data files themselves take up 30mb and they reside on your internal memory. You can't move them to the SD Card.

Another good tool is Disk Usage. It will graphically allow you to browse the folders and see where the majority of your space is being eaten up. That's how I discovered what Plants vs. Zombies was doing.

You can get Disk Usage at the market here: https://market.android.com/details?...DEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5kaXNrdXNhZ2UiXQ..

Hope this helps!

Step 1: Root your phone. Use gingerbreak, don't be afraid... it's not hard. There's a great youtube vid on how to do this.

Step 2: Install Link2SD from google appstore. Move your largest apps to your SD card.

Step : Profit! (couldn't resist)

Admittedly, as of late Feb 2013, the Vortex is near if not past the end of its usefulness as a smartphone, but if you are stuck with it, these two steps will save you space and allow you to run many more apps on this phone.

Yes, others have said clearing cache and data regularly will also help. Some apps can be moved through the Manage Applications screen, but Link2SD lets you move MANY others, including the massive (for this phone) Facebook app.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom