• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root cant format microsd card?

3finger

a buddy of mine gave me an 8gb microsd from his htc mytouch 4g for tmobile after getting himself a new 16gb card.. problem is, no matter how many times i format through my admire's settings control and through cwm, every time the phone reboots, all his crap is still on the card.. ive deleted everything manually through file explorer, then ran apps like forever gone and the like, then settings/storage/unmount/format, then boot into cwm to unmount/format sdcard.. then once again on reboot, all this htc crap and photos and vids are still recognized.. ive passed on my 2gb card, so now im stuck.. any ideas? or am i wasting my time with an 8gb card?

The easy way is to get a card reader for the pc. the card probley was formated on a pc
with a different file fat format the admire won't read and sees it incorrectly.

they have micosd - usb real cheap on ebay - but if you can't, wait best buy has microsd - sd - usb ones not to expensive. buy.com has great deals on all of them plus sells micosd
memory real cheap on the internet and they have fast free shipping.
viperdink

Whenever you format the SD card, folders are created by the phone, so just make sure that your not confusing his stuff with folders that are created when a new SD is put into the phone.

IE; Images, Music, DCIM, etc..

theres a bunch of left over crap from the htc sync on it still.. garbage hes downloaded, photos hes taken, folders from telenav, ringtonecreator, slacker radio, folders from the htc apps i dont have on my admire.. i tried using es file explore and the file explorer loaded with stock++.. everything deletes, but returns soon as the phone is rebooted.. i cant even delete photos of his dog hes taken.. is this an htc thing or something? ive never heard of deleting something simple as camera images and they reappear upon reboot..

used windows xp to format the sdcard.. rebooted the phone and all the nonsense was still there.. gonna try sdformat soon as it downloads to the pc..

so used sdformatter from the sdcard.org website.. 6 times with 6 different settings.. all with the same outcome, nothing is being formatted or deleted off of the 8gb card.. even with full erase/overwrite/quick format settings.. im at a loss.. is it because htc phones have a different security protocol than the rest of the world or what? nothing i do deletes a single thing off this card permanently.. images and videos delete but mysteriously reappear after several formats and manual deletions.. im ready to throw it in the microwave..

if your running xp try fdisk and look at the fat type and partition make up it would need more then 2 byte fat table. if your sure there is no security, sdformat should fix it if not
i;m done.

appreciate the help but nothing seems to be working.. the card gets formatted, my admire says theres nothing there, then all of a sudden, poof all the htc bull is back.. the microsd is goin in the microwave..

Do this then thank me later ....

OkI00.jpg

The switch, if you have a micro SD adapter then pull it up so you now can delete the stuff inside of it. down = locked up = unlocked

so after an hour of being on the phone with sandisk technical support and doing everything ive already done in the last 2 days all over again they've decided its a card issue and they're gonna send a replacement soon as they send me a u.p.s. thing to send them the (what they deemed 'defective') card.. and i was getting ready to pop it in the inlaws microwave for 10 seconds..

Back
Top Bottom