• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't Install Root Explorer from Amazon Appstore

notserpmh

I just got a replacement phone for my MT (the other had touch issues and dust under the screen issues). I loaded it up with the Sharp v6 ROM and took off. Everything is working great with one exception.

I have installed the Amazon AppStore, have it updated, and have installed dozens of my apps from it that all work fine, except one. For some reason, I can't get Root Explorer to install. The button in the Amazon AppStore says "Reinstall" instead of just install and each time I press it I get a "This application will replace another application" message, then I click Install then I get an "Installation failed" message.

I have tried force stopping Amazon AppStore, clearing data and cache from it, then uninstalling it and re-installing it. I have tried an older version of the AppStore I had on my SD card, I have tried rebooting into recovery and clearing cache and dalvik, along with regular rebooting, all with no luck.

I have also used ES File Explorer to go through /system and /data to try to find any obvious trace of root explorer, but I can't find anything with that name in it.

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone that has Root Explorer know exactly which folders it installs to in /system and /data so I can double check to see that they are not there? It keeps acting like either it is already installed or that something else is installed "in its way".

I can't seem to figure it out or figure out what is causing the problem. I might have to set a logcat/adb debugging thing to try to see where it is going, but I was hoping someone might have another idea to try before I hassle with that. Like I said before, lots of other apps from the Amazon Appstore install fine (and have installed after the issues with Root Explorer) and run fine, it is just this one app.

Thanks in advance!

I just got a replacement phone for my MT (the other had touch issues and dust under the screen issues). I loaded it up with the Sharp v6 ROM and took off. Everything is working great with one exception.

I have installed the Amazon AppStore, have it updated, and have installed dozens of my apps from it that all work fine, except one. For some reason, I can't get Root Explorer to install. The button in the Amazon AppStore says "Reinstall" instead of just install and each time I press it I get a "This application will replace another application" message, then I click Install then I get an "Installation failed" message.

I have tried force stopping Amazon AppStore, clearing data and cache from it, then uninstalling it and re-installing it. I have tried an older version of the AppStore I had on my SD card, I have tried rebooting into recovery and clearing cache and dalvik, along with regular rebooting, all with no luck.

I have also used ES File Explorer to go through /system and /data to try to find any obvious trace of root explorer, but I can't find anything with that name in it.

Anyone have any ideas? Does anyone that has Root Explorer know exactly which folders it installs to in /system and /data so I can double check to see that they are not there? It keeps acting like either it is already installed or that something else is installed "in its way".

I can't seem to figure it out or figure out what is causing the problem. I might have to set a logcat/adb debugging thing to try to see where it is going, but I was hoping someone might have another idea to try before I hassle with that. Like I said before, lots of other apps from the Amazon Appstore install fine (and have installed after the issues with Root Explorer) and run fine, it is just this one app.

Thanks in advance!

i dont use amazon appstore so im unsure on that area, but this part
"This application will replace another application" message, then I click Install then I get an "Installation failed" message.

comes up when the app your installing is already installed, or something similar, and the end failing could be due to lack of permissions

i cant remember correctly but if es explorer is the free version of root explorer you can try uninstalling that first, but it really shouldnt be messing with it like that

do you have superuser and such? cause i know root explorer itself needs SU once installed to get to directories you normally cant see, but idk if itll want you to have SU abilities to overwrite the other app

Thanks in advance!
I think I might know what the problem is. With es exploer open data/system/packages list and xml and search for root explorer and delete them. I think that is where they are, I am on GB now so I'll have to look later. I installed root explorer to get the files so it must be in there somewhere and causing the issue. I'll look and if it is I'll put up an updated fix.

Edit: That is what it is I just looked in the network location fix and it was there.

I think I might know what the problem is. With es exploer open data/system/packages list and xml and search for root explorer and delete them. I think that is where they are, I am on GB now so I'll have to look later. I installed root explorer to get the files so it must be in there somewhere and causing the issue. I'll look and if it is I'll put up an updated fix.

Edit: That is what it is I just looked in the network location fix and it was there.

Thanks for the quick response and thanks again for the awesome rom. It wasn't in packages.list but it was in packages.xml I deleted out the entire package entity (from <package> to </package> that included the root explorer reference).

<package name="com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer" codePath="/data/app/Root_Explorer_2.19.apk" flags="0" ts="1217592000000" version="60" userId="10044">
<sigs count="1">
<cert index="57" key="3082031a308202d7a003020102020449bd27aa300b06072a8648ce3804
</sigs>
<perms>
<item name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
</perms>
</package>

I tried to install again, but I am still getting "Replace application" when it first tries to install and Installation failed afterwords. As another weird thing (I'm not all up on how packages.xml is built) is that I tried a reboot to try and get it cleared out, but after the reboot, packages.xml was back as it was (with the packages.xml entry). There has got to be a reference somewhere I am missing. I did do the network location patch, so that could be the original source. Also, after trying to reinstall it seems to get the packages.xml reference back in, but still won't install.

This isn't an end of the world kind of deal, it isn't even worth dealing with a fresh re-flash, but if you think of anything else to check, let me know and I will be glad to.

It has to be in packages.list still, it is the 15th line from the bottom. I am looking at the old network location fix now. I updated the network location fix in the OP. But, I would recheck packages.list if I were you. Hope you get it situated.

It has to be in packages.list still, it is the 15th line from the bottom. I am looking at the old network location fix now. I updated the network location fix in the OP. But, I would recheck packages.list if I were you. Hope you get it situated.

I must just be missing it. Since there isn't a search in the ES File Manager, I am using SSHPro, sshing into my phone, using vi to open the file then doing a /root or /speed to try to search for it (I've also just manually looked through it).

Anyway, here is my packages.list:

packages.list - Pastebin.com

Maybe it is under a name I don't recognize. If I can't get it figured out it isn't the end of the world, I will just either use ES or wait until it gets annoying enough and re-flash the rom fresh with the new patch.

Thanks again!

Curious, why dis you purchase it from amazon rather than the playstore?

About the same reason I buy anything from the Amazon appstore, they had it on sale when the play store didn't. I think they had it for $1 or something when it normally goes for like $4. When the amazon appstore first came out, you could get a lot of really nice apps for their free app of the day and I picked up a lot of good stuff that way. Now most of the free of the day are worthless. They do still often do good sales that playstore doesn't always match.

I must just be missing it. Since there isn't a search in the ES File Manager, I am using SSHPro, sshing into my phone, using vi to open the file then doing a /root or /speed to try to search for it (I've also just manually looked through it).

Anyway, here is my packages.list:

packages.list - Pastebin.com

Maybe it is under a name I don't recognize. If I can't get it figured out it isn't the end of the world, I will just either use ES or wait until it gets annoying enough and re-flash the rom fresh with the new patch.

Thanks again!

Yup, don't see it. Only other places it could be are in data/... app, dalvik cache or data. Sorry about the annoyance. After it boots it must create other files. I'm still learning all the intricate details of android and how it works. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom