• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't reflash stock rom

Instead of taking the non-lazy way and following the Evo V 4G RUU Flashing guide/Unroot guide and returning my phone, I am trying to just reflash the stock rom and return it to Best Buy like that.

weeeell, I thought it would be very simple, but turns out it's not.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but after the reflashing is complete the phone displays the HTC logo, then turns off, then again the HTC logo, then turns off, and so on. (that's called boot loop right?)

What am I doing wrong?
I really need to return this phone. I miss calls pretty often even after following the Evo 3D guide. I wanna return this phone so I can get me a Nexus.

Before we begin let's install the necessary drivers. Don't if you've already.
HTC Sync

1. Download Mini SDk
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

2. Extract it on your desktop.

3. Go into any rom you have in your computer and extract the boot.img from it and place it inside the sdk-tools folder.

4. Double click on the fastboot application, then close it.

5. Boot into the bootloader "vol down, power button"

6. Highlight fastboot and press the power button, it should say fasboot in red.

7. Go into your sdk tools folder. Shift and right click at the same time.

8. Click on "open command prompt here"

9. Type in "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes.

10. Done.

Upvote 0
Before we begin let's install the necessary drivers. Don't if you've already.
HTC Sync

1. Download Mini SDk
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

2. Extract it on your desktop.

3. Go into any rom you have in your computer and extract the boot.img from it and place it inside the sdk-tools folder.

4. Double click on the fastboot application, then close it.

5. Boot into the bootloader "vol down, power button"

6. Highlight fastboot and press the power button, it should say fasboot in red.

7. Go into your sdk tools folder. Shift and right click at the same time.

8. Click on "open command prompt here"

9. Type in "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes.

10. Done.

So first I flash the stock rom and then I do this part?

Upvote 0
Ok the solution to this is really simple. It's because you changed your hboot and you need to just flash the Mobster Power Kernel provided in his thread and it will boot up. You're in a boot loop and just need to flash this kernel in order for it to boot up. Download the zip, put on sd card and then boot to recovery and flash it. Fixed.
Where do I find this mobster power kernel?

By the way, think I could just return it to Best Buy with it boot looping?

Upvote 0
Where do I find this mobster power kernel?

By the way, think I could just return it to Best Buy with it boot looping?

Go here http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/565129-rom-2-89-mobster-rom-v-2-76-a.html and go down to the second post and scroll down to the 'Mods' section. There will be a link to it. I wouldnt, because i've had bad experience with Best Buy and intentionally avoid them when possible because they try to find every reason not to honor their return policy in my experience. So just to be safe flash this kernel and get it out of loop and you should be all set.

Upvote 0
Go here http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/565129-rom-2-89-mobster-rom-v-2-76-a.html and go down to the second post and scroll down to the 'Mods' section. There will be a link to it. I wouldnt, because i've had bad experience with Best Buy and intentionally avoid them when possible because they try to find every reason not to honor their return policy in my experience. So just to be safe flash this kernel and get it out of loop and you should be all set.

Thanks.

How do I flash it? Same as the commands above?

Upvote 0
Nevermind I got it. Thanks!

By the way, I have the original HTC USB cable that came with it but for some reason it's a bit... worn out. I don't even know how it happened. Think they'll make a big fuss about that?

as long as it works you'll be fine. if you really want to you can keep the sd card, they won't check for that when you return it.

Upvote 0
im trying to reset mine after a bad install but now it acts like the driver is no longer installed on my computer when i plug it in it just shows a bad driver and all commands i put in say waiting for device.

For the drivers to work properly you have to install HTC Sync. That'll get you all the drivers you need, then you can just go ahead and uninstall HTC Sync without the drivers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones