• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate's MicroUSB Port - HUGE design flaw

It's really interesting to see everyone's opinions on this. Having read many of these posts, I would probably hesitate to call this a 'HUGE design flaw' again, and would probably call it more of an annoyance.

Thanks for giving me some perspective. I think that I am so happy with the phone otherwise, that I am just looking to nitpick.

Upvote 0
I bought a cheapie car charger at Walmart and noticed the same problem. It connects okay, but you have to push hard and then make sure to keep the phone fairly stationary to avoid losing the connection. I also consider it more of an annoyance than a design flaw.

BTW, I wasn't even aware that there was a sliding door until I read this post. I guess mine was open from the factory and I just never noticed it.

Upvote 0
Somebody posted about this a while back and had a link to where we could get OEM cables and car chargers cheap. I think I got 2 data / charging cables and a car charger for about $15.00. Unfortunately, the car charger died somehow.

Yes, there are "OEM" ones that appear on eBay. However, they're "OEM" only in the connector... they are however much shorter than the OEM cables.

If you're looking for OEM length too, you'll pay more... or you can just get a third-party cable from Monoprice for like 1/2 to 1/3rd the price then spend 30 seconds on it with a razor blade. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, there are "OEM" ones that appear on eBay. However, they're "OEM" only in the connector... they are however much shorter than the OEM cables.

If you're looking for OEM length too, you'll pay more... or you can just get a third-party cable from Monoprice for like 1/2 to 1/3rd the price then spend 30 seconds on it with a razor blade. ;)

Really? Mine were all the same length as the one that was included with my phone.

Upvote 0
Well, All connectors do... the door keeps the pocket lint out of it.
The door on mine is pretty much open 24/7 anyways. I bought that same Monoprice cable and I just used a pair of wire clippers to shave it down and it works fine. However - I did buy a generic MicroUSB car charger from Best Buy and used it on a recent trip. Due to the clips (or something) it actually started chaffing the metal on the connector. Suddenly the phone screen is blinking saying "USB Connected" then disconnected, then connected, then disconnected, etc etc. I had to pop the battery on it and find something to fit in there to clean it with. I then went to a Radio Shack and bought their car charger and it worked fine.

Upvote 0
plantronic's micro usb cable works. it has a slimmer profile than most 3rd party micro usb cables out there.
The sloping case does restrict the feasible set of cables. It will always be an annoyance. Finding the right car charger is hence a struggle too.

Sad how AT&T chose this "stylish" case, when one does no have the problem with the Captivate sister phone, VZ Fascinate, a case I prefer anyway! Who do they think preferred this case anyway?

Upvote 0
I've purchased several aftermarket chargers and USB cables and every single one of them fits just fine.

Me, too!

The only thing that didn't work was the mini-to-micro adapter I got from Radioshack. If I sneezed that darn thing disconnected.

The Amazon mini-to-micro adapter fits snugly and I love it. Now I have two connectors on one cable for when I travel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones