• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Inventor Capture the data provided by Intent

On this page: https://developer.android.com/training/app-links/deep-linking, in the:

Read data from incoming intents

section, Google mentions:

Once the system starts your activity through an intent filter, you can use data provided by the Intent to determine what you need to render. Call the getData() and getAction() methods to retrieve the data and action associated with the incoming Intent.

And that's exactly what I'm trying to do, but, I'm unable to get help.

In this activity of mine:

Java:
import android.app.Activity;
import android.content.Intent;
import android.net.Uri;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.os.Handler;

@SuppressWarnings("unused")

public class SplashActivity3 extends Activity
{
    Handler Handler;

@Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
    {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.activity_splash3);

Handler = new Handler();
        Handler.postDelayed(new Runnable()
                            {
                                @Override
                                public void run()
                                {
                                    Intent intent = new Intent(SplashActivity3.this, MainActivity.class);
                                    startActivity(intent);
                                    finish();
                                }
                            },
                1500);

Intent appLinkIntent = getIntent();
        String appLinkAction = appLinkIntent.getAction();
        Uri appLinkData = appLinkIntent.getData();
    }
}

I want to know (later tranfer it to another activity), the URL that was clicked on to open my app.

Basically, my app is using App Links (referred to as Deep Linking by some). So, in a case where a user 'A', sends user 'B' a link of a page on my website and B has my app installed, he/she will be able to open the link in my app instead of the browser.

As of now, B can open the link in my app, but, my app will always load the 'home page' (it's because I have coded my app to open the home page by default). I want to load the page that brought B in my app.

For a real life example, just like Facebook's app does. Suppose I share a link of a Facebook page or a profile to my friend. It's a standard HTTP link that's displayed in my web browser. Probably, I shared it with him on WhatsApp. He touches the link to open it. He has the official Facebook app installed on his phone. So, Android asks him if he wants to open the link in the Facebook app or in the browser. Now, when he chooses the browser, it's no problem at all. But, when he chooses the Facebook app, the app loads the profile or the page that exists on the link and not the home page of Facebook. That's what I want to achieve.

Please note, I'm talking about standard HTTP links here and not my app specific URIs.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones