• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car connectivity? Who to complain to?

SebaKL

Android Enthusiast
Hello guys

I'm just curious, who is to blame for bad car connectivity? Is it Samsung, Android or the car manufacturer ?

I can connect iphone to my Porsche or BMW without problem. I can change songs using the steering wheel buttons, I can walk out the car and the Bluetooth will pause all the activity, and resume where I left of, when I come back. So if I step out to pick up a coffee and sit back, the song just carry on and play.

With Galaxy S2 and S3 I can connect without problem but I have to reconnect every single time. No auto pairing, no resume of playback... I just have to start from scratch.

Also problem with printing. I get lots of e-mails with MS doc files, invoices, quotes etc.... the iPhone could just sent to my wifi printer without problem. My S2 and S3 seem not to be able to do it, unless I get $20 app, and it doesn't even print direct, it sends it via cloud service. So there is a limit of size for the files.
I'm honestly quite surprised. I don't expect to control the world with it, but there are some aspects, where I can configure it to unimaginable detail, and then there is this fundamental basic feature, that doesn't work.
Confused.

Who is at fault when comes to it? Is it Samsung, Android or the car maker to blame?

regards

Good question, try Samsung. I bought the Samsung Official Vehicle Dock and have since been staggered to learn that it does not support calls (it reverts to phone mic/speakers when a call connects - not much use at 70mph).

I have no experience of bluetooth kits so others here may be able to offer more constructive advice.

My Samsung S11 is paired by Bluetooth to my Honda Accords Bluetooth system & will connect automatically every time I sit in the car & turn the ignition on.
I would check with the car manufacturers as not all car makers systems fully support all phones fully.
Now I only use the connection for phone calls. If I want to use my phone for playing music I have to connect it to the cars audio system by USB cable & it shows up as an aux player which I can then control from the steering wheel.

Hello guys

I'm just curious, who is to blame for bad car connectivity? Is it Samsung, Android or the car manufacturer ?

I can connect iphone to my Porsche or BMW without problem. I can change songs using the steering wheel buttons, I can walk out the car and the Bluetooth will pause all the activity, and resume where I left of, when I come back. So if I step out to pick up a coffee and sit back, the song just carry on and play.

With Galaxy S2 and S3 I can connect without problem but I have to reconnect every single time. No auto pairing, no resume of playback... I just have to start from scratch.

Also problem with printing. I get lots of e-mails with MS doc files, invoices, quotes etc.... the iPhone could just sent to my wifi printer without problem. My S2 and S3 seem not to be able to do it, unless I get $20 app, and it doesn't even print direct, it sends it via cloud service. So there is a limit of size for the files.
I'm honestly quite surprised. I don't expect to control the world with it, but there are some aspects, where I can configure it to unimaginable detail, and then there is this fundamental basic feature, that doesn't work.
Confused.

Who is at fault when comes to it? Is it Samsung, Android or the car maker to blame?

regards

It could be a combination of all three. It depends on the bluetooth kit that you have installed in your car.

If it's HFP then you shouldn't have any problems with connection, if it's rSAP then you probably won't be able to connect with the system natively.

However not all is lost. You could try this: Remote SIM Access for Android

i suppose you have already thought of this; if the iphone is the default phone for the porsche then the androids are configured against. only one phone can be the default...?

I think it is down to the car's BT/music system and not the phone.

On my Toyota it all works superbly. Connects each time (never failed yet), and the songs can be controlled using the car stereo (ie. play, skip etc)

On my Kia, it sometimes fails to connect (perhaps fails one in four and must turn stereo off+on to re-try) and the songs can only be controlled through the music app on the handset.

Back
Top Bottom