• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier IQ

That's great!!!! Question is that a ZTE decision or BOOST? Or is it because its a prepaid service and not a post paid? That is not to include the CIQ software.
:cool:

Well, coming from the Samsung Galaxy Prevail, it was twisted all through the phone's software.

Only by installing IQ remover by bloodwin or one of his roms could you get rid of it.

Confirmed! no CIQ embeded in Warp. anyone else like it?

This may be my next smartphone if the above is actually true. Just waiting til full root is acquired, ClockworkMod/Odin, and maybe a ROM or two. Who knows this phone may luck up and get a CM9 port one day....Or even an ICS official update. Since the Prevail recieved a GB official update, anything is possible.

It's doubtless for this! Anyone if very deeply concerned to CIQ, send a mail to Eckhart and ask him have a look on Warp.

This has piqued my attention as I'm a professional paranoid. In doing a little reading, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T claim to use it for "diagnostic" purposes. Since Boost is a subsidiary of sprint, I'm going to be skeptical. One article I read posted some websites that CIQ will send info back to, be it through 3g or 802.11 connectivity. So, later on today, I think I'm going to throw my wireless access point on a hub (not a switch) and hook a PC running wireshark into the same hub, to see what's what. Because I'm extremely interested in seeing what kind of information gets blasted out from a stock phone, vs. one that's been rooted. This is a general question (non-warp specific) but can anybody recommend a good firewall app for Androids, or know if it natively uses iptables? Thanks

This has piqued my attention as I'm a professional paranoid. In doing a little reading, Verizon, Sprint & AT&T claim to use it for "diagnostic" purposes. Since Boost is a subsidiary of sprint, I'm going to be skeptical. One article I read posted some websites that CIQ will send info back to, be it through 3g or 802.11 connectivity. So, later on today, I think I'm going to throw my wireless access point on a hub (not a switch) and hook a PC running wireshark into the same hub, to see what's what. Because I'm extremely interested in seeing what kind of information gets blasted out from a stock phone, vs. one that's been rooted. This is a general question (non-warp specific) but can anybody recommend a good firewall app for Androids, or know if it natively uses iptables? Thanks

try droidwall it has a pretty good reputation you need root for it though,you can find it here:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.googlecode.droidwall.free&hl=en

and for your second question about iptables the answer is no android does not have it natively because of android is spread out in so many different devices that they could not possibly take the individual time to build all of them for all the different android devices,think of android like windows although a good os but because of so many different brands its on it has to be "generic" to work on all the model of pc's it is on, and android is in the same way making it more virus prone because it doesnt get the special treatment of being with an specific device only. that is why mac is less virus prone because the only device it is on is apple devices so they can take that added time to add extra security and other things that make the device less virus and bug prone.:eek:

i hope that helps you understand why android doesnt have native iptables!:cool:

Carrier IQ is not on this phone.
I ran Vodoo CarierIQ Detector and Logging Test app. Neither app found any signs of carrier IQ on my Warp. Both apps are free on the market if anyone wants to check for themselves.

I Odined my Prevail back to stock just to see if they work and both apps found Carrier IQ.

well i used odin on my previal to rom it out but if we cant even confirm it on the warp that will be hard

I don't understand what you are saying. I set my prevail back to stock because i wanted to see results with carrierIQ installed. I believe Odin is for Samsung phones only.

Mr. Freeze,

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know for sure... I'm a bit more familiar with iptables and much more trusting of the stuff I configure it to filter. Not overly enthusiastic about blindly trusting someone else, but given your recommendation and the feedback on droidwall, what the hell.

Given that CIQ is throwing pretty much all of the carriers under the bus, it will be interesting to see who the attorneys will be going after first. It's a given that CIQ will be a co-defendant, unless quickly fire the VP that's been doing all the talking & settle. But I'm betting that if there's anymore surprise fallout from this, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint (boost) et. al, are going to get crucified.

While I understand why CIQ developed the product (I use something very similiar for LAN/WAN stuff at work), my concern is that they could have been a little over zealous with the detail of the metrics they collect. Furthermore, who's to say they (CIQ) have a 100% security record, when it comes to their people who handle and have access to data? What about the carriers? Given the fact that anybody who develops software knows and has motives for grabbing as much personal data about their clientel as they can get away with and sell bits and pieces to statistics firms, I would almost be willing to bet a substantial amount of money they're selling us out.

I ran the Voodoo ute on my warp, and like everybody else, nada. However, according to the other forums, the model samsung I bought for my wife is polluted something fierce, so I'm hoping that Sprint (Boost) gets their heads out of their back sides and pushes out some sort of patch that disables/deleted or at least seriously limits a lot of the mechanisms in CIQ before everybody gets paranoid.

Finally, I've started wondering about the fact that since this is plastered over almost every news outlet (technical, trade & mainstream), how likely is CIQ to be targeted by either intelligence communities or some rather ambitious black hats?

Any way you look at it, I think we're all in for one hell of a spectacle

Well said bws. Luckily this phone for all intended purposes ZTE was smart enough not to put CIQ on it. Definitely will purchase this once Clockwork Mod(custom recovery) and possibly Odin(allows you to go back to stock) land on it. I'm just glad the Prevail has plenty of ROMs without CIQ on them.

Given that CIQ is throwing pretty much all of the carriers under the bus, it will be interesting to see who the attorneys will be going after first. It's a given that CIQ will be a co-defendant, unless quickly fire the VP that's been doing all the talking & settle. But I'm betting that if there's anymore surprise fallout from this, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint (boost) et. al, are going to get crucified.

While I understand why CIQ developed the product (I use something very similiar for LAN/WAN stuff at work), my concern is that they could have been a little over zealous with the detail of the metrics they collect. Furthermore, who's to say they (CIQ) have a 100% security record, when it comes to their people who handle and have access to data? What about the carriers? Given the fact that anybody who develops software knows and has motives for grabbing as much personal data about their clientel as they can get away with and sell bits and pieces to statistics firms, I would almost be willing to bet a substantial amount of money they're selling us out.

I ran the Voodoo ute on my warp, and like everybody else, nada. However, according to the other forums, the model samsung I bought for my wife is polluted something fierce, so I'm hoping that Sprint (Boost) gets their heads out of their back sides and pushes out some sort of patch that disables/deleted or at least seriously limits a lot of the mechanisms in CIQ before everybody gets paranoid.

Finally, I've started wondering about the fact that since this is plastered over almost every news outlet (technical, trade & mainstream), how likely is CIQ to be targeted by either intelligence communities or some rather ambitious black hats?

Any way you look at it, I think we're all in for one hell of a spectacle

yeah i do agree i wonder who's gonna get the hammer 1st!

I know that I'm a newbie and all but why dont we make an app that sends false data to the carriers through carrierIQ in hopes that it will make the mobile coverage better?

I know that I'm a newbie and all but why dont we make an app that sends false data to the carriers through carrierIQ in hopes that it will make the mobile coverage better?

Exo,

While that is a good idea on paper, in my experience, it might be difficult to implement effectively, as it communicates with the hardware at such a low level.

As stated above, I can understand the need for such diagnostics but NOT on such a wide scale and under no circumstances, without the customer's expressed consent. And not simply buried down in some contract, where nobody without a legal degree can find it or simply impled through ToS.

If I had a phone that had CIQ on it, it would be shipped back to Boost in pieces.

The thing that I find most sobering is think about what happens if CIQ get's hacked? They capture all of the raw data from our devices and then turn around and send it to the carriers. You can't tell me that there isn't at least one computer network connection made with the internet, that can't be exploited or attacked. What about the carriers? What kind of security mechanisms do they have in place to protect our data?

Somebody needs to be held accountable for this, immediately.

Back
Top Bottom