• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Custom recovery not booting

johnisaac18

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
On my HTC Evo v 3D I finally figured out how to flash a custom recovery so that I can get Root on it. I used Fastboot and it flashed (what the cmd prompt told me) I am on HBOOT already so I go to click on Recovery, but when I do it just starts off with the HTC logo and then boots up to my lock screen. I tried flashing CWM recovery, TWERP, and also another one someone mentioned to try. Neither of them booted. I don't even get the red exclamation mark anymore when I click recovery. Help! I have an unlocked bootloader. Not S-off because that wire trick doesn't support windows and I don't know where to download it now. THANKS!

where did you get your recovery image? if you copy/paste the text in the cmd window we may be able to help you figure out what happened.

in a nutshell:
-bootloader needs to be unlocked
-recovery image needs to be for cdma evo 3d(shooter) assuming thats what you have
-recovery needs to be a .img file
-recovery needs to be inside your same folder as adb/fastboot
-you can try different usb cables and ports
-make sure nothing is running that will interfere(easy tether,pda net,htc sync,even itunes)
-no usb 3.0
-widows 8 has issues also

hope that helps. disabling fastboot in settings wont really have an effect on flashing recovery,but it will keep you from getting to hboot via power on/vol down,so unchecking it is good advice :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones