• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] iPhone defector needs help!

flyjbaker

Android Expert
Mylast Android phone was an Evo 3D. I actually did not have anything bad to say about that phone other than the camera sucked. It was a good stable phone. Well about a year ago, I went to the iPhone 5. Let's not get into a discussion about the differences but long story short, the iPhone is at the bottom of the marina under 10 feet of water under my boat. And the EVO 3D was in my drawer. So I need to bring it back to life. It is rooted but nor S-Off. I used to be very proficient with rooting but just didn't have enough time to keep up with everything and I got behind...and hence, I went to the iPhone.

My evo was running a Clean Rom 2.3.5 from damn near 2 years ago and also the associated kernel and radios. So everything needs to be updated. What really burned me out with rooting was the HTC S-ON way of doing things and having to do ADB commands just to flash a new ROM. If there is a quick way I can get to S-OFF that would be a tremendous start. Right now, the phone is basically dead because it was deactivated and when trying to reactivate, it will not update Profile and PRL....likely due to the old radios. It has a Team Win/Clockworkmod recovery. Anyway, I have not done my due diligence yet but just trying to get a feel where the 3D is at right now.

Thanks in advance,
John

PS....my backup to my backup is a Samsung Moment....help me Tom Cruise...Help me Oprah Winfrey...help me Jewish God...help allllaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!...;)

Running the ruu would update everything but he'd end up stock uprooted with stock recovery and (I think) relock the bootloader.

i don't know that it makes much difference, they use the same network... but that's a question for wiser minds. i want to say the RUUs are identical though.

I believe it does make a difference due to radio files and the software that lets it connect to a particular cdma network since it's hard coded into the device rather than provided by a sim card (GSM). So is this Evo 3D on Sprint or Virgin? I can move it based on which one you have it on.

Back
Top Bottom