• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Service Visit

I've been having numerous issues with service lately and called Sprint. Part of my issues were due to some tower upgrades but others they don't have an explanation for. The tech on the phone has scheduled me for a store visit because they cannot verify my phone's firmware in their system.

I am running the cleaned up gingerbread stock rom with HTC unlock. S off has been on my to do list but I'm not their yet.

Besides removing wireless tether, and what else do I need to be concerned with? I know their standard protocol will be to do a factory reset, but will that make any issues? Would it be in my best interest to be s off when I go in?

Thanks

rob

Maybe also doing a profile update would allow your info to be posted in the system. I don't think they will check your apps, so I would not worry as much and most of those Sprint techs are rooted them-self, LOL

a factory reset will involve the stock recovery. if you take your phone into a store,and they select "factory reset" from the menu options,it is going to take you to your custom recovery and rat you out :eek:

best thing,IMO,would be to s off first,then run a stock ruu,and then take the phone in completely stock. that way if someone that knows will see you are locked and a factory reset will produce the expected results.

dont worry about the s off in the hboot screen,as legitimate test phones do come this way so its presence doesnt mean you modified it :)

scotty nailed it. I took my phone in a couple of months ago for a screen issue and was worried I'd get the whole "your warranty is voided because the phone is rooted" mumbo jumbo. I had already obtained s-off, so I just ran the RUU for the phone, essentially putting it in factory state. Really the only way Sprint would have known the phone might have been tinkered with was if they paid any attention to the fact that the phone was still s-off after running the RUU. But then again, like scotty mentioned, many test phones from Sprint come with s-off already, so it'd be hard for them to say it was me.

Your best bet is to obtain s-off first, then run the RUU. I feel like I've been away from the boards for awhile, so I'm not 100% positive if anything has changed with obtaining s-off. However, I used the Juopuntbear procedure to do mine and it worked flawlessly the first time. The key is to really study the process beforehand and check the video on YouTube. Once familiar, you should have no problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom