• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Storage question about Lollipop & Moto G (XT1031)

bfldworker

Android Enthusiast
I currently have a Boost Mobile Moto G (XT1031). I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy SII (T989), it is a huge setup in performance. However I have one issue that I am not accustom to, no external SD Card slot. which limits storage.

My experience with Lollipop is from the custom rom world of XDA and Cyanogenmod. I like the OS, however I have noticed that programs installed with ART take up more space then a program install with Dalvik.

A perfect example is this. I am running Stock Android 4.4.4 with Dalvik and I have 77 programs installed (I am including the updates to the already stock installed apps) and they are taking up 2.0GB of storage. With ART they take up just under 4.5 GB of space, which seriously takes up a lot of very valuable space.

So my question is this, will they release the office OEM Lollipop for this phone with some sort of on the fly file system compression (which would bog down the loading), or not.

And the second question is this. If they don't ship the ROM with On the fly file system compression is there a file system for android that supports compression?

ART is the new default runtime, sadly it does take up more space. I recommend using a good cloud storage or investing in a Leaf Bridge Micros SD reader for music and media. Also install a cache cleaner like Jrummys or another that has a auto clean feature, keeps your app cache down and frees up some space. I don't know of any or have heard of any on the fly compression...what I can recommend is removing any unused apps and consider a minimal gapps package. I have 67 apps and have just over 3GB of internal memory. Hope that helps.

Yeah I already have 2 paid tools to keep the cache. My only concern is app storage. I may have to find a otg solution.

Back
Top Bottom