• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cell Radio Disable Script Possible?

spiff72

Oct 9, 2009
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone might know of a good way to disable the cell radios completely (and "automatically") to effectively change this device into a wifi-only tablet? I want to make a "kid-friendly" device out of these phones and not be concerned that they might be able to accidentally dial 911 on them. (I have pulled the SIM from the device already - I have the Virgin Mobile version of the phone if this makes any difference).

I found this thread elsewhere, and tried the file that is supposed to work on KitKat ROMs, but it doesn't seem to work. I poked around in the zip file and looked at what it is supposed to do (it removes some files, and installs a script that is supposed to disable the cell radio at boot). It does appear to remove some files (stuff like the telephony provider apk), but i don't think the radiooptions part works right. I went into the file permissions of the radiooptions file that got installed and set them to match the other files in the folder it is in, and it "sort of" worked if you manually went to a terminal emulator and typed "radiooptions 1", but the radio would seem to start back up again after a moment.

I also expected that the actual phone and messaging apks would be removed as well, but they weren't targeted in the script.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me know if there is a way to do this?

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25016-mo...y-mode-disable-cell-radio/page-6#entry1608113

Thanks!

Just for reference, phone app in titanium...
I use guest mode for my kids when they want to play a game. Works well.
tmp_20023-Screenshot_2015-05-15-08-52-06867121455.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones