• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Challenging Problem: Accessing through screencast, dead digitizer

rawrxic

Lurker
Nov 16, 2012
Hello folks, I'll explain what's going on:

I've got a Nexus S here unlocked, rooted, CWM with CM9.

The touch screen recently died but that's the only physical problem with the phone (screen is fine, etc etc).

I am looking to gain access to the phone through screen-casting with androidscreencast so I can do a few things, like forward my sim, and run smsbackup+ etc...

I believe however that USB debugging is not enabled on the phone, and I say this because while in CWM ADB can see and talk to the device but once I boot into CM9 it cannot.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do from ADB in CWM to enable USB debugging or ADB itself while CM9 is running.

I've been doing lots of googling but it is looking as though there isn't a way to simply switch on USB debug in the Rom from CWM but some people mentioned it might be possible make a back up and unpack on their machine modify the system file and flash that rom back to the phone with USB debugging enabled.

I was wondering if this is my only option if there would be anyone here that might be able to give me some more info or point me in the right direction regarding unpacking and repacking the rom on a PC and how to go about making the changes to the system file.

Thank you for your time, it's much appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones