• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changes in HTC's Android 2.3 Gingerbread Desire update

I found the link, so, just let me get this straight:
you had an unrooted HTC Desire updated to Gingerbread through the official update here HTCdev - HTC Kernel Source Code and Binaries
Then you went here How To Gain S-Off, Flash a Custom Recovery, and Root Your Android Phone Using the Revolutionary Method | TheUnlockr
and it worked.
Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

The point that sensisimon has made is true, but is easily corrected by downloading More Locales 2 from the Market (free). That adds the UK English locale back in (along with umpteen others).

Upvote 0
I've not installed a custom ROM yet. Before I do so, I want to create an ext partition on my SD card for use by A2SD+, and I'm having some problems with that (which I have raised in a thread in the Rooted part of the forum). Hopefully will be good to go soon, though I've not decided which ROM to go with yet, or even whether to stick with Sense or try an AOSP one!

Reactions: Lord Fletcher
Upvote 0
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you.
Since you haven't decided which ROM to use yet, may I advise the one I've already chosen? SuperNova ROM
It's a Sense Gingerbread with stable Data2Sd.
If you do choose this one, please let me know how it went, since I'm still waiting for my new SD card to arrive before I do any of this.
You'd be helpful for the fourth time, XD.
If not, thanks again :)

Upvote 0
A couple of hints for upgrading from OTA Froyo to this official gingerbread:

If you had information stored in your own personal contact card (the first name in the "people" application), it will be lost. Back it up/copy it down somehow. All other contacts are synced with Gmail, but not this one.

The Market won't remember all of your free apps. You need to remember what free apps you had.

EDIT: Also, go into Gmail and check that the phone has been syncing your contacts recently. Evidently my phone hasn't been synchronising for the past 6 months or so. Fortunately SMS Backup+ allocates names to every text message so I can re-enter a lot of my contacts... but what a pain in the butt.

Upvote 0
Cons
  • Pressing the current weather icon on the HTC clock / weather widget no longer takes you straight to the weather app
Apologies if this is old news, I upgraded last night, but clicking on the weather icon goes to the weather app on my phone, no problem.

Also, no force closes so far and I have installed 23 apps on SD and 10 on internal memory and I still have 50MB free compared to 10MB before :)

Ian

Upvote 0
A couple of hints for upgrading from OTA Froyo to this official gingerbread:

If you had information stored in your own personal contact card (the first name in the "people" application), it will be lost. Back it up/copy it down somehow. All other contacts are synced with Gmail, but not this one.

The Market won't remember all of your free apps. You need to remember what free apps you had.

EDIT: Also, go into Gmail and check that the phone has been syncing your contacts recently. Evidently my phone hasn't been synchronising for the past 6 months or so. Fortunately SMS Backup+ allocates names to every text message so I can re-enter a lot of my contacts... but what a pain in the butt.

I had the GMail sync problem and I'm pretty sure it was because of low internal memory. I could force sync to work by freeing up memory. This is one reason why I have upgraded to Gingerbread - I now have loads of free memory and Gmail syncs normally.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones