• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charger died

nwaves

My charger died after using it 4 (four) times. Called LG, they said Google handles the warranty unless there's physical damage. Called Google and they cannot send me a new charger, they can only send me a new Nexus 4. That's insane!!! Plus I don't want to spend the time to reconfigure the phone again.

That is a bit daft.

If you don't have an old charger from another phone, I guess the cheapest option is to buy a new charger.

I have a 0.8A Motorola charger and N4 sees it as USB charger and it takes longer to charge. Plus I want to sell my old phone so I won't have it for much longer.

I hate LGs freaking charges! Mine is always trying to come out of the wall and the slightest tug will interrupt charging.

My charger makes a loud buzzing noise if it is plugged into the wall without being plugged into my phone. If it's plugged into both my phone and the wall it's fine. I just make sure to always plug the charger into my phone before I plug it into the wall and it's a non issue ( until it catches fire one day :p ). You could always try to find a generic charger online that outputs 1.2A.

Yeah, the best option should be buy a new charger but take good care of output amperage or else your phone will take to longo to charge.

I have a 0.8A Motorola charger and N4 sees it as USB charger and it takes longer to charge. ...

The N4 is ONLY charged via the USB cable ... it doesn't "see" anything other than the power sent to it. The stock charger delivers 1.2A. Your 0.8A charger takes longer simply because it delivers a lower amperage at 5V, hence lower power delivery and longer time to store 2100 mAh.

Would be cool if they had a charger that would charge in a few mins. My nexus usually takes 2 hours to charge.

The battery chemistry is the real charging limitation. You can find or build a charger that will deliver 4.0A (or whatever you like) through the USB connector with adequate wire size and very quickly charge the battery, but its life expectancy would be pitiful.

The N4 is ONLY charged via the USB cable ... it doesn't "see" anything other than the power sent to it. The stock charger delivers 1.2A. Your 0.8A charger takes longer simply because it delivers a lower amperage at 5V, hence lower power delivery and longer time to store 2100 mAh.

When the 1.2A charger is connected, Battery Monitor widget shows AC charger connected. When I connect the 0.8A charger it shows USB charger connected, same as if I connect it to a PC. Obviously that's because the current it receives is lower than the 1.2 A it expects.

I actually charged it today and didn't notice a difference in charge time... wasnt warm either when charging

It will work but charge time will be significantly higher than the 1200mA OEM charger.

Given the very common "conversational" error in nomenclature re: amperes delivery (charger) vs. ampere hours storage (battery), the simple math of 1.2/0.85 indicates 1.4 times greater charging time, neglecting such dynamic battery chemistry including temperature changes and usage.

Almost half-again is indeed significant when the battery life is so short. :)

I'm seriously considering something like http://www.amazon.com/Charger-4-Port-Charger-Cigarette-Socket/dp/B003S6CO9I/ref=sr_1_1 (2.0A delivery) when I have confidence that the battery life won't be degraded by such accelerated charging chemistry.

One has to wonder if the 0.85A charge rate would actually extend the battery life. It probably doesn't really matter in practicable terms, as the 'phone will be essentially "obsolete" in March 2013 anyway. <g>

Not sure that the relationship will be quite as straightline as your maths supposes ..

As for the phone being obsolete in March: you mean a mid-(price)-range phone is going to be top dog for 5 months?! That's pretty awesome ..

Plus, of course, there tends to be quite a long lead time between announcement and availability in the non-Apple world ..

I had an issue with my charger. I was making a very high pitched noise when my phone had finished charging or when my phone wasn't plugged in. So if I went to bed with my phone on charge I would be woken up by the noise an hour or 2 after :(
I rang google and they sent me a replacement phone and charger. The new charger buzzes now :/ not sure if its enough to wake me up yet as I haven't charged it overnight yet.

Back
Top Bottom