• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charger won't stay in the phone?

Recently whenever I plug my phone into the charger or a mini USB cable it won't stay connected unless I hold it there. Would this be due to the cable or the actual plug on the bottom of the phone coming loose?
I had this happen with an LG Chocolate before and had to get it replaced.

If I read your message correctly you're using (at least) two different cables with both having the same problem. If that's correct, then it sounds like the port on the phone is the problem.

I had the same problem the day I bought my Eris. I was embarrassed to find out I didn't have it pushed in to the "click".

Yeah I am able to push it in and i feel the click but it doesn't stay there. If I move it at all it likes to slide out. I haven't abused it or anything, guess I'll call Verizon and see if I can get it replaced.

This will most likely be late for you, but I hope it will help others with this issue. I had the same exact problem with my current phone. I found that when I plugged the charger in, there was a resistance from the charger jack. I'm guessing after a year of my phone being in and out of my pocket, a significant amount of fluff and dust had gathered in the jack preventing the charger fitting all the way in. I used a sewing needle to clean out all the dirt and fluff from the jack, there was a lot! Now my charger sits in nicely and I can charge and use my phone at the same time

This will most likely be late for you, but I hope it will help others with this issue. I had the same exact problem with my current phone. I found that when I plugged the charger in, there was a resistance from the charger jack. I'm guessing after a year of my phone being in and out of my pocket, a significant amount of fluff and dust had gathered in the jack preventing the charger fitting all the way in. I used a sewing needle to clean out all the dirt and fluff from the jack, there was a lot! Now my charger sits in nicely and I can charge and use my phone at the same time

5 years late for him but good timing for me! Cleaned mine out and it worked perfectly, thanks for answering!!!

Also... that was disguising. Its been only 7 months.... disguising.

a bit of compressed air helps to keep it out without endangering anything.
if you have one of the "cans of air" sold for pc keyboards, works great.

Well, it exactly works on mine too, so much thanks for the solution !!

i've had this problem also for quite awhile. I've always thought it was the cable. I would get a new cable and it would work fine and then the same thing would happen. Blasted out the port with air AND the cable end. Now works just fine. Anyone need some extra cables?

Possible ALTERNATE CAUSE: Bent prongs on the charging "spade" (the portion that inserts into your phone).

I am referring to a Micro USB charger (not type C or other type).

My 30-day old charging cable started falling out of my phone's charging port last night. Indeed, normally it is lint build-up preventing the spade from fully inserting into the phone's charging port.

However this time the charging port on the phone was totally clean inside. I took a look at the charging cable and (on the flat side of the Micro USB spade) there are two tabs that stick up to provide retention in the charging port -mine were squashed down to be almost flush with the flat portion of the charging spade. With some patience and perseverance I bent them up enough to grab them with fine needle nose pliers and then bent/pulled them out to where they should be sitting. The charger works great and stays in the phone now. This charging cable wasn't cheap...so I'm not sure if it actually is cheap, defective, or I somehow squashed the prongs in -probably just cheap and I got ripped off, because I've never seen this before with any of my charging cables.

Cleaned my phone port out with a needle per Msmofa, surprised how much lint came out as I kept working it. So the "bad" cord now holds in okay.
Interestingly I had one cord, I'll call the "good" cord, that still worked fine before the cleaning. No prob with external hooks on the bad cord per urBT. But looking inside the phone plug ends of the two cords, it's clear that the tiny copper conductors on the good cord are more visible (less squished out of the way) than on the bad cord. However, reiterating that bad cord holds and keeps charging even if shake the phone and cord after the cleaning.

Wow, worked for me too. I scrapped around a bit not really using much pressure and there was no difference. Tried again using more pressure and got a bunch of stuff out and now it works like new. I guess the debris gets packed in pretty hard over time.

Back
Top Bottom