• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Charging port seems broken?

Crell

My Nexus 4's USB port seems to be slowly dying. When plugged into the USB cable on my desk at home OR my desk at work, it will only sometimes pick up a charge. When sitting idle on my desk my computer will periodically re-notify me that an MTP device has been connected, indicating that the connection broke and was re-established. This is slowing down charging as well as highly annoying.

More recently I had the delightful experience of the phone simply refusing to charge *at all* for a day. Of course, it was a day I was in another country. :-) It then started working again.

Does my analysis sound correct, the USB port is dying? Anyone know what Google's warranty period is? (It's a year and a quarter old or so; I ordered it direct from Google when they first came out.) Anyone have a number at Google for warranty support? :-)

1) The warranty is usually 1 year.

2) The port isn't dying, a few of the pins worked loose and have to be resoldered. Any good cellphone repair shop can do the work.

In Europe, warranties are 2 years on phones - thank-you EU
love.gif

You have tried a different USB cable? In the overwhelming majority of cases, connectivity and charging issues come down to a dodgy USB cable. Definitely worth checking before you take the phone in for repair.

If it is a repair, then as Rukbat says, it's usually pretty straightforward - one of the guys I work with had the USB port replaced on an old Desire for

I had a similar charging issue a while back after my Nexus jumped off my nightstand and landed awkwardly on the attached USB connector, bending the port a bit.

I ended up replacing it myself; it took maybe 40 minutes to do.

After you try another USB cord you might consider the RavPower wireless charger. They are less than $30 shipped and maybe about 20% slower charging than with the wired charger.

It might also be worth it to check with Google. The YouTube reviewer Erica Griffin in her first review of the N4 was complaining about play in the charger port, maybe it was a genuine issue that Google took note of.

Thanks all. I've used it with 3 different USB cables, plugged into 2 different computers and a wall adapter and the same problem exists with all of them.

I'm interested in wireless charging but I still need wired charging for when I travel, or am using an external battery pack.

Sounds like I need to dig up Google's number, and if that's a no go find a repair shop nearby. I'm sure there is one but I've never needed to find one. Would just a phone shop at the mall have that ability, or is there something specific I should look for? (I know my soldering skills well enough that I am not even going to try doing it myself.)

Back
Top Bottom