• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cheapest place to buy this phone?

xkravenx

Nov 22, 2011
Wondering if anybody knows the cheapest place to buy this phone now?

I decided to wait and did not pre-order with RadioShack when the phone came out. I already bought the car mount, skin and case. The only thing I am missing is the actual phone. :eek:

Getting around $326 (including tax).

Wondering if anybody knows the cheapest place to buy this phone now?

I decided to wait and did not pre-order with RadioShack when the phone came out. I already bought the car mount, skin and case. The only thing I am missing is the actual phone. :eek:

Getting around $326 (including tax).

If you wish to go through the trouble, you might end up paying about $271. You just need to buy refill at callingmart.com (2 transactions $290 and $10). Then do the cashback at fatwallet or ebates.com. The callingmart would save you about $6.00. Cashback saves $22.50. Apply the refill codes to your VM account (not sure if this method works on new user), and then pay the phone from existing cash (via refil). Tax will not be applied. So you end up paying about $272.

Let me know if you want more detail. The advantage is you save over $50. The disadvantages are that you have to go through the hassle of cashback which could take up to 30 days before you see the $. Also, VM only accepts $150 worth of refill/day. So you'll need to apply the refil code over two days. Since you are not ordering the phone directly with a CC (credit card), you lose CC protection.

VM is pretty good at replacing your phone. If you have problem, they usually send the replacement using 2-day fedex shipping. Of course, unlike RS, Best Buy, you can't just return/replace right away.

Upvote 0
You can pay for phone with existing cash? I didn't see that option in my account.

How is the 4G service in NYC? Their 3G is horrible, but for $25 bucks it's just fine.

If you have enough credit in your VM account for a phone, you can apply the credit to purchase the phone. Example: if you have balance of $220 in your account. When you try to buy Evo V 4G ($299), the option to pay with balance does not show up. However, if you try to buy HTC One V ($199), then the option shows up.

4G is excellent if you can get it. Speed range from 3mbps to 13 mbps. On avg, I say 7 mbps. 3G on Evo V 4G also show drastic improvement. The ping time went from a typical 500-700 ms (on OV) to 50-150ms. Speed also seems to improve, I consistently get 700kbps, and quite often get 1+mbps.

Upvote 0
If you have enough credit in your VM account for a phone, you can apply the credit to purchase the phone. Example: if you have balance of $220 in your account. When you try to buy Evo V 4G ($299), the option to pay with balance does not show up. However, if you try to buy HTC One V ($199), then the option shows up.

4G is excellent if you can get it. Speed range from 3mbps to 13 mbps. On avg, I say 7 mbps. 3G on Evo V 4G also show drastic improvement. The ping time went from a typical 500-700 ms (on OV) to 50-150ms. Speed also seems to improve, I consistently get 700kbps, and quite often get 1+mbps.

Thanks I just followed your instructions and bought an EVO V from Virgin Mobile. Hope I don't disappointed by the phone.

At the rate by which I am buying new phones. It's cheaper to get post-paid. I paid $300 bucks for the MT and another $300 for the EVO V. And it seems the EVO V has a lot more problems than the MT.

Upvote 0
Thanks I just followed your instructions and bought an EVO V from Virgin Mobile. Hope I don't disappointed by the phone.

At the rate by which I am buying new phones. It's cheaper to get post-paid. I paid $300 bucks for the MT and another $300 for the EVO V. And it seems the EVO V has a lot more problems than the MT.

Yup, I got the fatwallet cash back within 30 days. Typically, it's 45 days before you can cash it. So I was pretty happy with that.

Evo V isn't so bad for me anymore. I was frustrated for about 3 weeks. However, last night I found a way to circumvent the problem. Instead of 3G, I turn on 4G. I get great 4G, but I just don't really need it, and 3G saves battery. However, with 4G on, my text problem seems to have gone away. Calls have been coming in now. I won't declare "victory" until I am problem free for 2 weeks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones