• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chromebook, keeper?

andruoid

Android Expert
I've had the Chromebook (Acer C7) for about a week now and thought I'd share info and gain info from anyone who has one as well!

I decided on the Chromebook as the OS has always had my interest and Win8 is no longer an option.

First off is the speed. Everything loads fast, its what you get from an OS that has very low resources. With the stock drive I booted in about 18 seconds. I did replace the 320GB Seagate Thin drive with a 120GB Kingston HyperX. This for 4 reasons; more battery life, less heat, no noise and even more speed. Boot time is 4 seconds and when asleep as soon as I open the lid it's on. As far as the 2GB of RAM goes I haven't seen a reason yet to upgrade. There is a free slot and a 2GB stick is $20 so it would be a inexpensive solution if needed.

There are more apps and extensions than I thought. A lot of off-line apps as well. Without a net connection? Not often and if I really need to I can always tether off my phone. I keep all my files locally and one feature that is really required is a File Manager with support to access NAS drives. Luckily my WD My Book Live has FTP support so getting files from it is not as issue. Simply type ftp://username:password@192.168.1.1 in the browser and I'm in. Uploading is a no go however.

The C7 is $249 Canadian and the 120GB above is $149. Is it a keeper? This approaches the Asus Transformer with keyboard which is $500. Somethings that are better; the Transformer has apps for connecting to NAS and battery life.

Feel free to chime in and state other findings, I'm going to decide over the weekend. :)

It's a keeper if you like it. I've read quite a bit about the Transformer Prime and know someone that has one. It's a love/hate relationship.

I just got one--I am playing around with it right now, but it will be tomorrow before Ican try to do anything with it.

So far it is sweet!

Having trouble adjusting to a real keyboard, though :D

Just couldn't get comfortable with the Chromebook, at least the Acer C7, maybe the Samsung is a better experience, not sure. I went back to the Note 10 as I was really missing a file manager (Ghost Commander is my favorite and it has SFTP and Samba plugins).

I like mine (It's an Acer, but the one with 4g RAM and the bigger battery.)

But, then, I wanted something to use for a word processor--I still will use the phone and tablet for most things, and while my laptop's guts still work, the keyboard has a couple of broken keys, and the Chromebook was cheaper than getting it fixed.

I have a bunch of Bluetooth keyboards, and I haven't gotten used to any of them. They all work, they just all "feel" wrong. The Acer's keyboard feels right.

I have a Samsung Chromebook (Series 3) and a Transformer Prime. One never gets used and I'm trying to sell it. ;)
I love my Chromebook. The screen isn't the best, the battery life isn't as good as the Prime, but it's faster, cleaner, and gets everything done I need it to. Definitely worth the $250 vs $500 I paid for my Prime a year ago.

I have a Samsung Chromebook (Series 3) and a Transformer Prime. One never gets used and I'm trying to sell it. ;)
I love my Chromebook. The screen isn't the best, the battery life isn't as good as the Prime, but it's faster, cleaner, and gets everything done I need it to. Definitely worth the $250 vs $500 I paid for my Prime a year ago.

Do you know of a decent app that can connect to a NAS? I really did like the Chromebook however without ability to connect and save to my NAS makes it almost useless.

I have two laptops. One specifically for gaming with games that only run well in Windows and has tons of RAM, a multi core processor at 2.7 GHz and the other running Linux dual booting to Windows XP Pro for times when I need to flash a ROM, use ODIN, or feel like using a real keyboard. However I cannot justify a Chromebook. Nothing I use a laptop for runs on it, and I got tablets for what I'd use one for. I am slowly phasing out of laptops and when tablets have a decent Flight Simulator comparable and customizable as Microsoft Flight Simulator X I'll rethink that decision.

Back
Top Bottom