• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chromecast suddenly stopped casting?

Georgiboy

Lurker
Apr 7, 2011
I currently use a Motorola Maxx XT1080 and have been using Chromecast without an issue at work and at home for many months. Suddenly my phone will not cast. The Chromecast app recognized all of my devices and lists them. I can even reboot the devices from the app so it is connecting at some level. However, when I try to cast a video, it won't do it. Sometimes it actually looks connected (the icon is solid blue) but nothing shows on the screen. I have rebooted the chrome cast, restarted my phone, cleared the cache on the app and cleared the data. Still nothing. My wife can cast with her turbo to the same devices with no problem. Any idea what's causing it?

I currently use a Motorola Maxx XT1080 and have been using Chromecast without an issue at work and at home for many months. ..... I have rebooted the chrome cast, restarted my phone, cleared the cache on the app and cleared the data. Still nothing. My wife can cast with her turbo to the same devices with no problem. Any idea what's causing it?

Given all the details you stated on what's happening and what you've already tried to do, this doesn't sound like an app issue, and even though your wife's phone isn't experiencing the same casting problem, have you tried restarting your router?
Can you think of anything that happened right around that time your phone had problems casting to your Chromecast? Applying an update to your phone, or to your router, or anything like that? Maybe installed some anti-virus utility? They're often a direct cause of a lot of networking and connectivity problems. Maybe try restarting your phone into its Safe Mode and see if you still have the same casting problem.
http://howtosafemode.com/2247/how-to-turn-on-safe-mode-on-motorola-droid-maxx
And this is real long shot but looking up the specs on your phone, it has a user-removable battery. Just in the event there's just some hardware/software glitch, try removing the battery, let it sit for a few minutes, and then put everything back together and see if that casting problem is still there.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. I've tried several different apps and none will cast. We also have the Chromecast units in my home and my phone won't cast to any one them but others in the house have no problem
Just to save on repetitive comments could you state some of the things you have tried please?
-- Is this a long-standing problem or did it just start up recently?
-- What kind of home network do you have in your household -- are you using an ISP-supplied modem/router or do you have your own separate router?
-- Since your phone is the only one having this casting problem, is your phone having any other kinds of connectivity problems with your home's WiFi or is casting the only one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones