• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clarification on Battery.

Ok, I really need some people to clarify how many times I should battery discharge. I just completed my 3rd discharge last night and charged it overnight powered down. The battery seems to be the same. I even did a factory reset and it still seems the same. Its 11:13 and its been about 3 hours since I unplugged the phone and I'm at 86%. I've seen some people get 8hrs before they got to 86%.

Battery usage as follows.

60% Display-Time on 3m 27s!!
16% Cell Standby-Time on 15m..0% without signal
10% Phone Idle-Time on 12m
5% Android System & OS-CPU usage 55s total

With the current battery stats I think I should be getting better battery life than I am. Anyone agree?

It's almost 4 hours for me and I'm down to 91%. I have the following running in background:

Music player (background)
Fancy Widget
Lookout
Battery Watcher
Apps Organizer
Advanced Task Killer

I don't shut off my WiFi. I do not have GPS nor Bluetooth turned on.

Ok, I really need some people to clarify how many times I should battery discharge. I just completed my 3rd discharge last night and charged it overnight powered down. The battery seems to be the same. I even did a factory reset and it still seems the same. Its 11:13 and its been about 3 hours since I unplugged the phone and I'm at 86%. I've seen some people get 8hrs before they got to 86%.

With the current battery stats I think I should be getting better battery life than I am. Anyone agree?

1 full discharge every 2 weeks to a month should be fine. The only reason to do a full discharge is to make sure your battery indicator is reporting the correct percent. Here's a good write up on lithium ion batteries in general. If you want, a "simple guidelines" section is at the very bottom:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

There are so many variables when it comes to battery life that I'd take EVERY user's battery life/usage statistic with a grain of salt.

Signal strength seems to be a common theme when it comes to battery life. For me, at work the signal seems to fluctuate from 5 bars to 0 bars all day. Consequently I also go anywhere from ending an 8 hour day with 50% and ending with 10%. And I'm just one person.

Display is also a huge battery sapper. Yes, even 5-10 minutes. Even with a black wallpaper and minimum brightness, you shouldn't expect a big increase in battery life.

It's just the reality of smartphones. Now if you're going only 4 hours or so with normal usage/idle time and you're out of battery that's room for concern, but 3 hours unplugged and 86% is completely fair in my opinion.

Do you have items running in the background? Need to clarify what settings you have first before asking "what percentage should my battery be at after x amount of hours?"

I am at 37% - phone has been off charger since 7am yesterday - I have about 30min of voice calls, 30min of texting, some web/market/maps/camera usage..

My Settings:
Brightness - turned all the way down
Browser display settings - all the way down
Wifi - goes to sleep when display is off
background data on / auto sync OFF
no live wall paper
no live widgets / facebook or whatever

This is my 2nd phone - first phone wouldn't last more than a day with these same settings.

I'm coming from using a Samsung Eternity - That phone would last me 3 days easy (as I don't really use these phones to their full potential anyway) - so for me, I would expect the Captivate not to last as long just because of the simple fact that it is a true "smartphone."

if you dont have app killer i would try it, i usually kill everything thats running when i get up and unplug my phone. i forgot to yesterday and dropped nearly 10% in an hour, once i killed everything i made it easily though the rest of the day while playing with the phone alot

It's been 7 hours or so and my battery is at 76%. Made a few calls, tested GPS, used navigation during lunch to make sure it was working (without using cell phone tower triangulation, and it works good). Juiceplotter is estimating about 21hrs left on the battery at my current usage rate.

I might have to check out that app kill. There's some stuff in the background that's running and I don't even know what it is.

I might have to check out that app kill. There's some stuff in the background that's running and I don't even know what it is.

you will see a big improvment or should atleast, i kill most apps every few hours, my phone has been unplugged for 5 hours and im still at 90 percent, but i havent used it much

After my third full discharge, and factory restore..I have noticed a huge difference. My phone was off the charger for 13 hours yesterday with medium usage and I was only at 80%.

I'm on my longest battery charge so far. Right now it is @ 20%, on battery only for 24hrs 45 minutes.
Everything is ON (wifi, bluetooth, 3g), auto brightness.
I've downloaded 6 or 7 programs
Used MyPod to download 20 podcasts,
Used maps (30 minutes)
Tried a new browser I downloaded but ended up uninstalling it because it was buggy and slow (Dolphin HD)
Misc games and browsing.
A few calls for maybe 30 minutes.

The only thing different with the last charge was when I let it shut down Friday night, I kept it OFF and charged it all night. Usually I keep it on standby while charging overnight.

i hate to ruin the party but here's my input.

in the background:
launcherpro
task manager
dolphin hd
engadget
facebook
galaxy livewallpaper
lowest brightness
no wifi/gps/bluetooth usage

at 6am it was 100% (after a full night's charge)
at 11am it was at 50%.

it's really driving me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom