• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod????

Is there anyway to put in a clockwormod for this phone ??? :confused:

No not yet. Hopfully some devs will buy this phone and start working on it. but if you try to flash clockwork you will brick your phone. if your interested check out the kyocera rise and kyocera hydro, they are almost the exact same phone and there are some devs working on it now. once those phones are boot unlocked and roms developed for, then our phone will probably be next.

Does anybody still have this phone? Due to the similarities the event shares with the Kyocera Rise and the Hydro (msm8x55 SOC and most likely the a very similar setup in general) I am willing to work with anybody who is looking to help with the development of these 3 phones. Hit me up with a PM or watch the rise and hydro boards to see how development is going with them.

I contacted Kyocera and this is how the email train went.

Me to Kyocera: When are we going to see the unlocker for the bootloader on the Event? Tell the big wigs that this is going to hurt sale corporation wide. This may very well be the last kyocera phone I buy as well as many other users in the android community.

Kyocera to me: Thank you for contacting Kyocera Communications Inc. This message is in response to your email regarding such codes to unlock the phone.

Well, Mr. XXXX, do allow me to infrom you that, us as the manufacturer we will never provide such codes to unlock the phone. Due to the fact, that if we provide such codes that will void the warranty of the phone and whenever the phone brakes down if it does, we won't be able to provide any service whatsoever unliess you pay for the repairs. Also, if we provide such codes, we will enabling you the rooting of the phone. More than important about this, it is against THE LAW.

The only available way to get such codes, if they want to provide such codes, is the service provider. But they are not obliged to provide such codes.

Me to kyocera: In regards to the legality of rooting a phone, here is what the Congressional Librarian says is now legal:

'"Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute lawfully obtained software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications with computer programs on the telephone handset."

Translated: as long as you're not using (or creating) root tools to do anything illegal, it's fine to enable your phone to run things that the manufacturer or carrier didn't intend. For those wondering, that whole "lawfully obtained software applications" means that rooting your phone doesn't magically make it legal to pirate apps. Also, the exemption only covers enabling new software to run. Circumventing existing software to, we'll say, allow a phone to run on another carrier will not be legal.'

HTC issued this as part of a press release;

HTC is committed to listening to users and delivering customer satisfaction. We have heard your voice and starting now, we will allow our bootloader to be unlocked for 2011 models going forward. Please keep an eye on this website for more details on which devices will be adding this feature. We are extremely pleased to see the energy and enthusiasm from our fans and loyal customers, and we are excited to see what you are capable of. HTC eagerly anticipates your innovations.

It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

I am not an idiot. I am not attempting to move my phone to another carrier. I simply want the opportunity to install a custom ROM to enable additional features on the handset. I love the look, feel and capabilities of the phone but I know it is capable of more. The beauty of the android system is that it is open source. If I wanted to support a proprietary OS I would own an Apple device. As for the warranty, I have a no questions asked warranty from a third party. It covers everything short of theft and loss. Please do not treat me as an idiot. The only idiotic decision I made was not doing my research on Kyocera devices before purchasing one.

That was a month ago and I have yet to hear back from them!

i have a question, i noticed that there is a recovery file in the system/bin folder. is the kernel checking the phone for this file? if so is there a way to rename this file and see if we can boot into cwm recovery without the kernel checking for this specific version of recovery?

i have a question, i noticed that there is a recovery file in the system/bin folder. is the kernel checking the phone for this file? if so is there a way to rename this file and see if we can boot into cwm recovery without the kernel checking for this specific version of recovery?

If someone could get the Loki exploit to work for this device (or a similar exploit), then yes.

Here's the code repository for Loki if you're interested in looking at it. The coder got it to work for several Samsung and LG devices:

https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

Here's an explanation of how Loki works its magic:

Azimuth Security: Exploiting Samsung Galaxy S4 Secure Boot

Is there any updates on the status of "cracking" the bootloader?

Umm... not that I know of! But most of us have moved on to other, more capable phones. Even with that I decided to try GL2SD along with the latest Link2SD. The new version of Link2SD can move data to the /sdext partition (needs to be formatted ext2, ext3, or ext4). GL2SD is used to move the obb files of large programs (mostly 3D games) to the main SD card partition. I redid my Event's SD card, and made the /sdext partition 2 GB in size.

I installed Dead Trigger on my Event, and it runs quite well for a 1 GHz single core CPU phone! It looks and runs better on my LG Optimus F3, though, hah. Still, nice to see that I can run some hefty games on the Event.

Umm... not that I know of! But most of us have moved on to other, more capable phones. Even with that I decided to try GL2SD along with the latest Link2SD. The new version of Link2SD can move data to the /sdext partition (needs to be formatted ext2, ext3, or ext4). GL2SD is used to move the obb files of large programs (mostly 3D games) to the main SD card partition. I redid my Event's SD card, and made the /sdext partition 2 GB in size.

I installed Dead Trigger on my Event, and it runs quite well for a 1 GHz single core CPU phone! It looks and runs better on my LG Optimus F3, though, hah. Still, nice to see that I can run some hefty games on the Event.

I've ran a few resource intensive games on mine but it likes to lag and/or crash.

Since I am rooted, I'd overclock it if i could but 1.) I'm not entirely sure how and 2.) I'm not sure it's possible on stock kernel with the locked bootloader

The boot loader can be unlocked. But the security reads this as an error and when you turn it off it bricks. Its a feature in the kernel that checks this. So for now I'm thinking on ways to counter this. If anyone is interested we may need to push over a new kernel without its security checks

The boot loader can be unlocked. But the security reads this as an error and when you turn it off it bricks. Its a feature in the kernel that checks this. So for now I'm thinking on ways to counter this. If anyone is interested we may need to push over a new kernel without its security checks

Wow!! I never thought of this mel, but don't you need an unlocked bootloader to change the kernel? I was always told you have to unlock the bootloader before being able to change or overwrite the original kernel.

is there an aboot for this device?

Nope. This directory isn't present in the Kyocera Event:

/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/aboot

which means there's no aboot.img to pull.

The Event's chipset isn't supported for the Loki exploit. Posting this for anyone curious to see if an exploit could work for the Event/Rise/Hydro.

As far as changing kernels, it can't happen unless adb running from a PC can effectively hook up with the phone. Last few times I checked (as in checking other folks attempts), adb can't fully connect to the phone, not even with the usb debugging option checked... :(

Wow!! I never thought of this mel, but don't you need an unlocked bootloader to change the kernel? I was always told you have to unlock the bootloader before being able to change or overwrite the original kernel.

Aside from the method like the Loki exploit that bypasses the locked bootloader, this is correct.

hmm so heres my theory, the security is the one that hits us hard when we unlock. now since its the security can an exploit be created for just the security and not the bootloader? some exploits are used for the bootloader. now how about we go for the security itself and create an exploit that searches for all types of security and somehow have them either disabled or completely removed? i would do that but my first rise is bricked. i would use the second rise but i need it

Is there a way we can brute force the security key?
How about keep the security check busy enough to where it "wears down"?

Is there a way we can brute force the security key?
How about keep the security check busy enough to where it "wears down"?

Lol yeah this could work. But is there a method to do it and also will adb drivers for the hydro work for the event?

Lol yeah this could work. But is there a method to do it and also will adb drivers for the hydro work for the event?

I've used abd a few times with my event. Doesnt seem to work to well. Had to manually change some permissions (via root browser) on a folder to push anything. And it didn't want to reset my password either when i forgot it not too long ago (had to factory reset unfortunately)

I've used abd a few times with my event. Doesnt seem to work to well. Had to manually change some permissions (via root browser) on a folder to push anything. And it didn't want to reset my password either when i forgot it not too long ago (had to factory reset unfortunately)

That's only because most folders in the root don't have write permissions. There is a command in adb that will change the folders permissions to read/write like for the system folder

That's only because most folders in the root don't have write permissions. There is a command in adb that will change the folders permissions to read/write like for the system folder

Ah. Well i got it to work for what i needed it for.

Back
Top Bottom