• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 actually slows down my Inspire 4G

AT1988

May 24, 2011
I've installed CM7 three times, trying to test it out and get the install with my apps right, but each time, when I install it and use the speed test, the phone was actually MUCH slower than the stock ROM. High ping, slower download times, only similar upload times. Plus CM7 is complicated, and I didn't really notice better battery life, but there were many things I really did like about CM7. Why does CM7 slow down the thing? Are there any good 2.3 roms which will speed up my phone instead of slow it down? CoreDroid 6.7 also slowed down the phone too.

I assume by "slow down" in your post you mean data speeds? Are you wiping data/cache/dalvik cache prior to flashing?

I do notice slight signal loss using aosp based roms vs sense roms but no data speed loss

Don't understand at all what you mean by "cm7 is complicated". As far as battery life goes, i can get 24+ hours with moderate use on cm7 but around 10-12 with moderate use on sense roms.

There are alot of good 2.3 based roms wether they are sense or aosp ones. My personal favorites are TB Fusion for Sense based and CM7 for aosp based.

Here's a link to TB Fusion [ROM][Jun 6] TB Fusion 1.1.8.3 / Sense 2.1 / KINGDOM LockScreen / SMS / WEATHER - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I've installed CM7 three times, trying to test it out and get the install with my apps right, but each time, when I install it and use the speed test, the phone was actually MUCH slower than the stock ROM. High ping, slower download times, only similar upload times. Plus CM7 is complicated, and I didn't really notice better battery life, but there were many things I really did like about CM7. Why does CM7 slow down the thing? Are there any good 2.3 roms which will speed up my phone instead of slow it down? CoreDroid 6.7 also slowed down the phone too.

Go here - Inspire 4G Android Development - xda-developers - there are many roms shown, and at least one of them should fit the bill for you.

-Mike

Upvote 0
It's slower because it doesn't have the right apn settings. Find the apn thread in the xda inspire forum. It will give you instructions on what apn settings you need.
OK so after rooting my phone myself (after unrooting it like an idiot) and installing CM7 again, once again the data speeds were way slower than on the "stock" 1.84 which I downloaded and installed rooted/side-loading from xda. Someone, please help me increase the data speeds, because I do love the battery life on CM7 and I wanna use it and do like most of the stuff on it.

Upvote 0
OK so after rooting my phone myself (after unrooting it like an idiot) and installing CM7 again, once again the data speeds were way slower than on the "stock" 1.84 which I downloaded and installed rooted/side-loading from xda. Someone, please help me increase the data speeds, because I do love the battery life on CM7 and I wanna use it and do like most of the stuff on it.

What part of "go to xda and find the apn thread" did you not understand?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1042553

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I understand it now, did all the steps, and the download speeds still do not match those on the stock ROM, which often got near 10 or above 10. Why is this? I do love the ROM and the battery life, which is why I really do not wanna switch back.

Are you absolutely sure you got 10mb down over 3g and not WiFi? I'm not sure I've seen anyone get those speeds. Speed tests are very inconsistent as well

Upvote 0
Are you absolutely sure you got 10mb down over 3g and not WiFi? I'm not sure I've seen anyone get those speeds. Speed tests are very inconsistent as well
well I'm in New York, and after I did the update on unrooted pure stock, I often got 10, or close to 10 download. Then I rooted/S-offed and put the 1.84 rooted/sideloading from XDA on my SD card, loaded that, and got similar speed test results. I never have wi-fi on, ever. Now with CM7, I'm getting 4,5 tho still 1 upload. With the APN settings stipulated, with the new access point as MediaNet with the settings as seen on XDA. I like CM, I wanna keep it, but I want it to be fast. The 1.84 update IS the HSPA+ settings, and I only got the CM7.0.3 from Clockwork Recovery.

And now I moved back to stock rooted 1.84 and my first speed test was 6.96 d, 1.69 u, 132 ping. What gives? I also noticed less accurate GPS on CM7.0.3. Where can I get a faster custom rom which will be faster than this stock rom?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones