• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM9 for LG Vortex

CM9 (ICS) For the LG Vortex has reached Beta! You can find out more here! http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-vortex/186116-rom-beta-quattrimus-ics.html

Credits

Quattrimus is the product of some amazing work by many people. First and foremost:
lupohirp and "team HAL" for doing the impossible: building the first ICS ROM for the LG P500.
drewwalton19216801 for porting lupohirp's ROM to the Optimus S.
thekraven for lots of help in finding and sharing patches.
The CyanogenMod and AOKP teams for all their work on fixing and improving Android.
blarf for creating IHO.
LeslieAnn for the awesome build server.
Many, many others.
Status

Beta test. Everything is working to some degree and most things are fully functional.
Known issues:

Deep sleep is not entered often/reliably, increasing battery drain.
Bluetooth disconnect can cause reboots.
Tethering is not functional. Workaround: use barnacle wifi tether.
Camcorder videos will not play. Workaround: use mx player.
HQ video (eg. youtube) is choppy. No workaround.

Device specific issues for the VS660:
Low mic volume.
Roaming indicator always shown.
Screen rotation does not work.

Finally got this Vortex working after semi-bricking it by deleting lghome.apk... I learned quite a bit in that process. ANYWAY, what better way to celebrate than to flash a new ROM, especially one posted here today. Well, big blue Q to start things off (this is live BTW), followed by an alien falling into what seems to be a never-ending pit (lol). I'll see what happens and let you know!

Thanks to OP for the link, I joined that forum too just to get my hands on this ROM. So far still the same falling alien...

Finally got this Vortex working after semi-bricking it by deleting lghome.apk... I learned quite a bit in that process. ANYWAY, what better way to celebrate than to flash a new ROM, especially one posted here today. Well, big blue Q to start things off (this is live BTW), followed by an alien falling into what seems to be a never-ending pit (lol). I'll see what happens and let you know!

Thanks to OP for the link, I joined that forum too just to get my hands on this ROM. So far still the same falling alien...

did it load for you yet? xD
I like the CM9 loading screen. the 1st boot always take a while~

Just wanted to say thanks a bunch for the link!

It's nice to get a taste of ICS, despite being (stuck) on a Vortex. It's incredible how streamlined everything feels compared to FroYo and even gingerbread. Although BobZHome's rom is still smoother for me~

If only the signal worked! :(

I realized that I need to get 2.2.1 on it... since I brought it all the way back with LGNPST to 2.2 and then rooted it, I need to get to 2.2.1 first, then I can have a go with this ROM... right?

Just wanted to say thanks a bunch for the link!

It's nice to get a taste of ICS, despite being (stuck) on a Vortex. It's incredible how streamlined everything feels compared to FroYo and even gingerbread. Although BobZHome's rom is still smoother for me~

If only the signal worked! :(

No probs!~
and and
I know! But there working on fixing the signal problem.. hopefully they'll have an update soon! >_<

I realized that I need to get 2.2.1 on it... since I brought it all the way back with LGNPST to 2.2 and then rooted it, I need to get to 2.2.1 first, then I can have a go with this ROM... right?

you dont have to get 2.2.1 to install this.. just make sure you got the right one vs660 and that you do a factory reset THEN install this and it will take a few minutes just be patient .. aaaaaannnndddd there's no service so if you like you can wait a bit more until that bug is fixed! XD

How do I install this if I've reset the phone back to non-rooted status?

aslong as your phone has Recovery it dosent matter if its rooted or not it will install it ether way.

besides if your phone is rooted already if you do factory reset your still ganna be rooted you'll just need to download super user again.

OK, so I'm on minute ten now, I still have the CM9 boot screen. Thoughts?

Edit: Good to go, setting it up now. Looks good! First few minutes...

1) home key and menu key are flip-flopped
2) long-press home screen only gives options for wallpaper (no shortcut options/etc)
3) Looks slick, I like the app drawer and the overall font/style of the GUI

That's it for now, will need a few days to try different things out.

Okay, well as usual, I got impatient and tried the latest nightly build 06.30.12, and it's still a NO SERVICE situation. It was very exciting, nonetheless. Gonna have to go back to BobZHome's 01.19.12 build of CM7 for now, but I'm going to be watching this thread relentlessly.

Gmail looks so much better, as does Maps. Google Listen actually works as it's supposed to and the screen on and off animations work.

As previously stated, the Home and Menu buttons are indeed still reversed. The rom author, TDM is apparently on vacation, but we might just have a working version (with service) of CM9 with ICS within a small period of time. It's so exciting that I nearly forgot about the S III. Wow.

The 7/3 nightly should have radio fixes in place, as well as buttons correctly mapped.

tdm just released the fix in the thread over on androidcentral, though goo.im seems to be down.

ICS on a vortex is honestly something i didn't expect to see! its sooo smooth.

The 7/3 nightly should have radio fixes in place, as well as buttons correctly mapped.

tdm just released the fix in the thread over on androidcentral, though goo.im seems to be down.

ICS on a vortex is honestly something i didn't expect to see! its sooo smooth.

Yes, the radio fixes work BUT the roaming indicator remains on and the mic is a bit weak. but at least it works and as far as my knowledge goes the roaming indicator being on does not cause issues with the Verizon bill (fees). It's just kind of there. Like it was on bobzhome's cm7 rom for a while.

I leave for a few months and this happens.... Geez i need to go back to my old devices not my Kindle Fire! (Been hanging out in xda developers for Kindle Fire, lol)

-=[EDIT]=-
Now to make this post useful, I will flash this when I finsh debricking my Kindle Fire. (Bad Bootloader ftw....) I will let you know of any issues I find and what I think of it.

It works quite well and very usable. Screen rotation, roaming, and video issues present, but it's otherwise stable, more responsive, and has improvements from ICS. I regret waiting so long to check it out.

Now, to actually devote some time onto saying what I think about this ROM! Ok, it's great, I actuallyw as going onto stock for a bit, but I couldn't stand how much SLOWER it was compared to this ROM! So, I booted up my 'ol PC, got my root tool, rerooted my phone, put recovery back on, then flashed it again. I love the builtin ADB Over network feature (CM9 ftw...). It makes sending files too it, MUCH easier, and helps for developing alot. (Although I prefer USB when available.) Anyways, I'm digressing, love this ROM, I hope the problems are able to be worked out. :)

Back
Top Bottom