• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Idiot terms please :)

dans89

I'm interested in flashing the bumblebee Rom to my optimus v, but i have absolutely no experience doing such a thing. I have secessfully rooted my 2.2.2 os, and thats about as far as i have gotten. I have been doing alot of research on flashing ROMs, but i simply can't understand any of what is being said. So if someone could please walk me through this process step-by-step that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. If there is already a thread that is put into "idoit terms" please let me know, I have searched for hours and still haven't found one.

Did you search YouTube for vids on installing Bumblebee on the OpV? I know there's one for installing the BACKside IHO rom.

Is Bumblebee still being maintained?

If you are looking for idiot terms to flash a rom, you are not ready... yet. Read through this sub-forum and familiarize yourself with the terms and apps.

I personally rooted not terribly long after buying my Optimus V, but didn't flash a rom until August, five months after initial purchase. I read through so many threads here until I was comfortable with everything.

@nonameface; no, bumblebee hasn't been maintained for quite a while.
and, its kernel won't display the screen on newer OV's (2.2.2 indicates it may well have the new hitachi screen)

@op; harmonious bumblebee over on android central is a bumblebee/harmonia cross and will work on the newer screens without having to patch in a new kernel (if you're inexperienced enough to need simple instructions, and have a new OV with the hitachi screen, you probably would be better off with this rom.)
as far as simple instructions, you'll have to find someone a little less... verbose... and techy than me, sorry.

I'm interested in flashing the bumblebee Rom to my optimus v, but i have absolutely no experience doing such a thing. I have secessfully rooted my 2.2.2 os, and thats about as far as i have gotten. I have been doing alot of research on flashing ROMs, but i simply can't understand any of what is being said. So if someone could please walk me through this process step-by-step that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. If there is already a thread that is put into "idoit terms" please let me know, I have searched for hours and still haven't found one.

I'm not sure if you've seen this thread or not It's fairly straight forward. This is my first smart phone and the first time I've rooted anything and I was able to root my phone, make back-ups, and flash a ROM. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the steps and I'll do my best to explain them to you in English.

Thanks for taking it easy on me guys. another question real quick, I rooted my phone by following the instructions in the guide on how to root without a computer using gingerbreak, my phone is saying that the binary is outdated... should i update it? It wants to install 3.0.3

I'm not sure if you've seen this thread or not It's fairly straight forward. This is my first smart phone and the first time I've rooted anything and I was able to root my phone, make back-ups, and flash a ROM. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the steps and I'll do my best to explain them to you in English.

Followed the instructions in the thread with the bumblebee/harmonious ROM, and it said that it installed successfully, but when ever I rebooted my phone all I got was a blank screen... Any help here would be appreciated. After reading through countless threads multiple times, I think I'm starting to understand the "language" of all of this. Once again, thank you for all of your help.

@Bigsupersquid: I bought the phone about 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe that will help determine which screen mine has??

One more thing, I'm still confused with the binary update, should I do it?

@Bigsupersquid: I bought the phone about 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe that will help determine which screen mine has??
Probably the new S screen, but I can't say for sure. I bought an Optimus for my wife in October and it still had 2.2.1 and a V screen.

I would suggest rebooting into recovery, restoring your nandroid backup and then flashing JerryScript's latest (1102) BACKside IHO ROM. http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html#post2971206

If it's an s-screen version of the V, then the recovery may not render either as the proper drivers may not be present…
BigSuperSquid had put together a very helpful post over on AndroidCentral
[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I'm far from any kind of expert in this arena as I managed to more or less soft brick my first OptV (2.2.2). After extensive amounts of reading in this forum and others I've successfully rooted and ROM'ed both my and my girlfriends OptV's. One being the older 2.2.1 the other is the newer 2.2.2 with s-screen. Now running BACKside (11/2/2011) on both, one with IHO recovery (4.0.1.4.3 on 2.2.1) the other with BobZ IHO recovery (s-screen on 2.2.2) and no problems.

In my brief experience in this realm I've noticed a lack of emphasis on how important busybox is to have installed correctly. I believe this is what led to my initial soft-brick of my first OptV, that busybox was never installed correctly and the system ultimately lost the ability to run root commands even though the phone was rooted…

Guess my only bit of advice is to read, read, read and then read some more. Especially if you wind up requiring command line on ADB to interact with the phone.

Ok, well that answers alot. When I installed BusyBox and tried to run it, it ran the installer again. I tried to install it, but it said that it was already installed multiple times. I'll look around and see if theres a fix for this.

EDIT: Ok, so I guess busybox installs itself. How do i use it??

EDIT2: After doing some more searching, I'm assuming that my phone has the newer style screen. Is there a newer build for the harmonious/bumblebee ROM? (after Sept,1)

Busybox is basically a set of optimized unix tools that your apps will use when performing interactions with your phones OS as root. You should never really need to interact with it yourself per se, but your apps will. Wikipedia has a nice description of it if you're interested in such things.

In my experience if the busybox installer warned that it was already installed multiple times then it wasn't installed correctly, or installed at all for that matter. Busybox should reside alongside of "su" which would either be in /system/bin or /system/xbin. In my experience I found the old OptV (2.2.1) had this in /system/xbin and the newer s-screen version (2.2.2) put it in /system/bin. Not sure if that is standard, but it's what I experienced.

If you can still access your phone normally there had been a free app called "root check" on the market that checked if your phone had root access and had busybox installed correctly. I found this useful and I wouldn't try to flash a new ROM or recovery until I verified that both were installed and operating correctly. Looks like root check is now pay-for-play. Perhaps there are other free apps that do the same thing.

If your phone has the s-screen then you'll need both a ROM and a recovery that contain the drivers that work with it. I've personally not dealt with the Froyo flavored ROMs or recoveries, but have found that the BACKside (Gingerbread) ROMs and IHO recoveries work on both the old and new style OptV's. Info on IHO standard and s-screen recoveries here.

Now my big disclaimer - I'm far from an expert in any of this and am just trying to pass along some info that had helped me out along the way. These phones seem fairly robust and can be brought back from a myriad of ailments provided you don't arbitrarily start firing commands at them and bork your phone at the filesystem level. Especially if you're interacting via ADB or terminal emulator as root (# vs $)...

There are many resources here and definitely lots of good reading to had!!

Can someone please explain the BACKside rom please? i am wanting a different rom on my phone, but so far I haven't had any success trying to flash one. I have tried twice now and I keep getting the same thing, a black screen with some sounds. I flashed an older version of the harmonious/bumblebee ROM with no success, so i tried the newest version (2.0 I think is what it is) with the same results.... This is driving my nuts....

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...wip-backside-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html

---Installing from another ROM

1) Backup your apps with something like TitaniumBackup or MyBackup

2) Download the BACKside ROM zip file, the gapps zip file, and optional GreenMachineTheme zip file linked below and place them on your sdcard

3) Boot into recovery

4) Make a backup

5) Wipe cache, and under advanced wipe dalvik cache

6) Under mounts, format boot, system, data, and cache

7) Flash the BACKside ROM zip file

8) Flash the gapps zip file

9) [Optional] Flash the GreenMachine-UOT zip file for the Green Machine Theme

10) Reboot your phone

11) Restore apps, but DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS!!!

12) Enjoy yummy gingerbread and the CyanogenMod goodies

i havent tried flashing that particular rom yet. i will follow the instructions carefully and report back.

EDIT: for the gapps do i have to start with CyanogenMod 4 and work my way up to 7? or can i flash just 7 and be done with it?

Worked like a charm. Thanks a million. Sorry for being such a newb, and all of the stupid questions. Like I said before I am 100% new to all of this. Once again thank you for all of your patients and helpfulness :)

Another question. Does this ROM not come with swype? How can I get it? And how do I restore my apps that I backed up with TitaniumBackup?

Back
Top Bottom