• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confirm How to Root and Flash ROM

girolez

Often Off Piste
Hi

I have read lots of info (mostly on this forum) on rooting my Desire and I am now getting very tired of having to remove apps because of lack of space. I am planning to root and flash Redux 1.2 to solve this problem. I know there are possibly better solutions involving repartitioning the phone and S-OFF, but one step at a time.

I have written a set of instructions for myself (below) and would appreciate a quick once over by anyone who knows what they are doing before I start! There are a few questions in the text which I would be grateful for any answers to.

HTC Desire GSM
Branded Orange France SIM unlocked
Android version 2.2
Baseband version 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Kernel version 2.6.32.15-ge2c73db
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number 2.22.73.5 CL283825 release-keys
Software number 2.22.73.5
Browser version Webkit 3.1

1 Make goldcard and keep safe
Done, but not sure how to check it is a

Reactions: DCC
Looks ok, but check your hboot version to see if you can go Unrevoked, and if you have a PVT 4 device check erase size to see if you can use CWM recovery.

Using Titanium Backup only back up user apps, and when restoring select option for "missing apps + data" - avoid restoring system apps (highlighted in red) as it'll cause problems.

Hi again all

Rooting worked very easily with a few hiccups afterwards..

My SD card played up when trying to resize and add an ext3 partition. I had to completely reformat it with new partition table using gparted and then create new FAT32 and EXT3 partitions to get it to work. This was with the SD card in the card slot on my laptop.

Having rooted and reinstalled my apps, I had more, but not as much space left as I hoped. I flashed apps_dalvik2ext as per the FAQ in te Redux page on XDA and the free space went from 22mb to 104mb !

Now very happy!

Many many thanks to all who wrote the guides and FAQs on this forum - I have read them a lot.

Following the successful rooting and memory gain I decided to S-OFF.

Looked at revolutionary, but it recommended having a rooted stock ROM installed. Having done all the work to get Redux I decided to use the older Alpharev 1.8 instead. I used the CD method - burn the .iso to CD and boot from it and follow instructions...Worked perfectly!

Again many thanks to those who have written the guides in this forum.

thanks, this thread really helped me a lot - d/ling redux now... about to take the plunge.

see you on the other side...

so the redux install went great - super happy! but i thought, while i have my hand in it i should install the davlik cache update.

installed it but then kept freezing on htc screen. i left it for about 10 min. then did some battery pulls. still nothing.

so i wiped the phone and reflashed redux.

I then re downloaded the davlik mod and tried again but same thing happened.

I'm now running redux without the davlik mod. What does this mean in terms of storage though? am i going to get the same problems with space filling up quickly as before?! i apportioned a gig in the sd card as ext 3...

Hi

That sounds like there may be a problem with the SD card ext partition. Has anything been moved to it? redux should automatically move apps to the SD card into the ext partition. Check by looking at the bottom of the overview page in Titanium Backup. If the ext partition is empty (or not showing) its probably a partition problem. (Redux will run without the ext partition working) If so use gparted to reformat the SD card, create a new partition table and recreate the 2 primary partitions. (Do a full titanium backup and save it to a PC before doing this.)

Reboot. Check the ext usage. If some is used, then try again flashing the dalvik add-on zip.

Back
Top Bottom