• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Confused by emulated folder

Odd Rain

I copied an mp4 video from a windows PC to nexus 7's Movies folder. I can then play it with MX player.

The video has some junk at the end, so I downloaded an android app "Mp4 cutter" to cut off the junk. It then saved the resulting file to
/storage/emulated/0/mp4cutter/ folder. I want to make a copy of the cut mp4 file on the PC but I could not find that folder when I connect the tablet to the PC and used windows explorer to look at the tablet.

I changed mp4cutter's save folder to /storage/emulated/0/Movies and re-save the file in mp4cutter. Now using MX player I can see the new file in the same folder as the original mp4 file, but I still cannot find it in the Movies folder using the PC.

At first I thought the /storage/emulated/0/Movies folder is just an alias for the Nexus 7/Internal storage/Movies folder I see in windows explorer. But apparently they are sometimes the same sometimes not.

How can I copy the cut video file to the PC and how can I delete the extra file that was saved in /storage/emulated/0/mp4cutter? I don't want to root my tablet just for this.

This issue obviously applies not just to mp4cutter but many other apps as well. So I really want to understand this weird file system.

I'm late, but in my defense I didn't own one until recently.

Some software is unable to 'see' the one location, so there's a symbolic link to the other location.

not much of an explanation, especially since my torrent app uses wichever one it feels like on a file by file basis.

(The explanation is the question)

In windows explorer, you'll see the storage folder listed twice. Check em both.

Back
Top Bottom