• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connection issues over WiFi

What are you trying to do prevent it from connecting? If that's the case then go into the wifi settings, hit the menu key select advanced and adjust the sleep policy. You may want to leave it because if you have a lot of apps that use the internet it won't eat up your data plan usage if wifi is connected.

Upvote 0
I have my new Samsung Captivate. It works sweet.

However, I am having a problem with the WiFi. The phone connects to the router just fine. It can surf the net, download apps and such. BUT when I try instant messenger, the connection fails. I get the error message:

"Unable to Sign in while WiFi is on."

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
You are using the AT&T bloatware "Instant Messaging" app? Do not do it.
Download a dedicated IM client like Yahoo IM.

AT&T's Instant Messaging tool requires and only works over 3G because it wants your money. I believe it also uses SMS functionality to send/receive messages so your monthly SMS allowance gets depleted quickly.

Like I said, install an Android IM client like Yahoo IM and enjoy freedom from AT&T on any network you choose (3G or WiFi).

Be careful though installing third party IM clients, like when you see a market app for MSN Instant messaging and it is not from Microsoft, take time to read through reviews making sure it is legit and good.

Reactions: gelky
Upvote 0
Samsung Captivate, rooted.

Love it. just one issue. :(

It will connect to my linksys wrt350n, just there is no internet. It does have a connection, linksys router also says it is connected. and is listed in the dchp.

I had to switch my internet plan to the 2gb (AT&T), I went over the 200 mb max. :eek: (which I expected sooner or later not just 10 days into the month)

***INFO***
1. Linksys wrt350n

2. open network, no password needed. (i live in the country, so no worries on hackers,

3. latest update from linksys, as new as they have.

4. need to keep the wired connections, new model NOT an option. dchp turned on and phone is set for privileges through the router.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Erbch

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones