• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help contact phone numbers that start with "+"

dcooterfrog

I have exchange contact phone numbers that start with +1(xxx) xxx-xxx
my ally insitst on tying to dial them as international numbers.

I have seen this listed as a problem in other places is there a solution.
i worte some quick VBA to remove that from my exchange outlook contacts. but my global address book hookup still has them.

why doesn't my ally know what country I am in. and work properly.

I have exchange contact phone numbers that start with +1(xxx) xxx-xxx
my ally insitst on tying to dial them as international numbers.

I have seen this listed as a problem in other places is there a solution.
i worte some quick VBA to remove that from my exchange outlook contacts. but my global address book hookup still has them.

why doesn't my ally know what country I am in. and work properly.

I don't think it's really a problem (Dialing international). It's like dialing all phone numbers as long distance, it doesn't bother it.

but it is a problem
if the phone number is +1(978) xxxx-xxx
my ally dials 011978xxxxxxx
and Verizon says cannot be completed.

if I remove the +1 from the contact it dials fine.

I fixed it in my exchange contact list and now the don't have the +1 so they work... but why did it do this.

but it is a problem
and Verizon says cannot be completed.

if I remove the +1 from the contact it dials fine.

I fixed it in my exchange contact list and now the don't have the +1 so they work... but why did it do this.

I'm pretty sure every phone, smart phone or not, just dials whatever is in your contact book. If there's a +1, 1+(Area code), etc, it just dials it as it's saved.

As for the why? Most likely not too many developers are also international travelers would be my guess, as saving with an area code works fine.

I would suggest just adding the +1 to JUST international numbers (As you've discovered). I believe it's just a quirk we have to deal with. However, I could be wrong, but I have found nothing to make the phone smart enough to know when to dial internationally and when to not do so.

but it is a problem

I'm not sure why this is wrong for you. It should dial the number as entered.

What happens if you remove the brackets, i.e. +1978xxxx On mine it removes them and dials the number correctly. Caveat, I'm in the UK :)

Is there anything in Settings->Call to change this behaviour?

All my phone numbers are stored as international numbers, but none of them have ().

I'm pretty sure every phone, smart phone or not, just dials whatever is in your contact book. If there's a +1, 1+(Area code), etc, it just dials it as it's saved.

As for the why? Most likely not too many developers are also international travelers would be my guess, as saving with an area code works fine.

I would suggest just adding the +1 to JUST international numbers (As you've discovered). I believe it's just a quirk we have to deal with. However, I could be wrong, but I have found nothing to make the phone smart enough to know when to dial internationally and when to not do so.

nope lots of phones have "assisted dialing" but I can't find such a setting for the ally. when I searched on this on Motorola phones there is a setting for it. i was wondering if it existed of the ally

nope lots of phones have "assisted dialing" but I can't find such a setting for the ally. when I searched on this on Motorola phones there is a setting for it. i was wondering if it existed of the ally

I think you should try what SoftWyer said... Leave out the (), and see if that handles it correctly. Now that he said that, I recall just putting the numbers in there, minus any special characters(Except the +), and it works fine.

The numbers are coming from my exchange server. My wm6 phone hadbassisted dialing. And did not have this problem. When international it dialed the international number. When in the us it didn't.

It's moot I removed the 1+ from all my contacts. I am now just curious.

The numbers are coming from my exchange server. My wm6 phone hadbassisted dialing. And did not have this problem. When international it dialed the international number. When in the us it didn't.

It's moot I removed the 1+ from all my contacts. I am now just curious.

Yeah, I'm curious too... I think something between how exchange is giving the numbers to your android, and how assisted dialing on android works is the issue.

Case in point, all of my contacts have their area code in there, so when I travel, dialing "Just works"... I figured it would do the same thing for international style dialing.

Well, this problem just started happening on my Mom's Ally last week. Contacts sync'd from Facebook have their numbers come down formatted as +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. The Ally seems to want to use the Facebook # as the default even if you have the same manually entered number on the contact (formatted as xxx-xxx-xxxx). And of course, you can't edit the contact data sync'd from Facebook. So when you click on the +1 number, the Ally dialer adds 011 in front of the number and Verizon fails the call.

I have some of the same contacts sync'd from Facebook on my Motorola Droid which seems to be able to dial them correctly. So definitely something messed up with Ally it seems.

You should be able to override the default number choice, though it needs to be done on a contact-by-contact basis.

Look at each contacts details in the contact manager, then long-click on the phone number you want to use. It should pop an options dialog up and one of them should be 'Set as default'

i'm having the same problem, but only with facebook contact numbers. my phone worked correctly until a couple of days ago and then it started dialing the numbers as international. it's totally ruined the way i use my phone. i really wish i could find a fix.

This is a problem specifically for the verizon network. I dialed the 011 1 area code phone number sequence on sprint and att phones and the call went thru no problem. I tried this with 3 different verizon phones including blackberry abnd verizon could not complete the call. It is an issue with the network switches not the phones or operating system. In the past 3 days I have spent 6 hours on the phonbe with verizon tech support. They had me hard rreset my phone 4 times. This obviuosly did not fix the issue.

This is a network problem. I even dialed the 011 string from my friends att phone with verizon on speakerphone and they still maintained it was a problem with my phone despite the fact that I proved to them that this issue was their network.

How frustrating! I will not be renewing my service with them tho I have been a loyal customer for 7 years.

It's a huge problem. But I have a fix.

Download "Prefixer" in the market by 253 below. Set up a rule for incoming and outgoing calls for ".*" (you'll know what I'm talking about when you look at their rule sets) and under the remove character portion of the rule you need to have "\+". This will automatically delete the + before your numbers allowing you to actually use your phone!

Back