• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help contact profile linked with different accounts naming issue

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
I searched for this, but it came up with nothing.

How do you change the display name in contacts with multiple links? I have one contact that has a phone link, twitter link, facebook link, and gmail link, and the display name is the twitter name. I dont like this, and I cant change it. I tried linking the phone contact name last, and it still reverts to Twitter. Where are the permissions at to say which account should bear the contact name in my phonebook? So annoying that I cant find it. :(

Thanks in advance!

UGH! just read both links. Im very disappointed in this. I realize with programing you have to put priorities for the name, but why on Earth would Twitter be number one?? Nobody uses their real name as the username. So annoying.

But, when I search contacts, I can search the nickname I had my phone contact under, and it still pulls up right. Its just that the Twitter name is the display name, and that annoys me to no end.

I did download the twitter app and I use that, along with Tweetcaster. I like having all accounts linked in my contacts, but the name drives me nuts.

Who do I send a complaint to? Motorola? I want them to do an update that lets you choose which name to display. :)

Thanks for the reply jayloren724

UGH! just read both links. Im very disappointed in this. I realize with programing you have to put priorities for the name, but why on Earth would Twitter be number one?? Nobody uses their real name as the username. So annoying.

But, when I search contacts, I can search the nickname I had my phone contact under, and it still pulls up right. Its just that the Twitter name is the display name, and that annoys me to no end.

I did download the twitter app and I use that, along with Tweetcaster. I like having all accounts linked in my contacts, but the name drives me nuts.

Who do I send a complaint to? Motorola? I want them to do an update that lets you choose which name to display. :)

Thanks for the reply jayloren724

I agree. They need to make an option for this. I don't want my Facebook to be the dominate contact. I like putting special nick-names. :)

you can change the name... it just depends on what order you link your contacts in...

the contact name will take on the last linked contact name:
for instance if you had say: brian, brian b, brian backley and they were all the same person and i want brian b as the contact name i would link brian to brian backley, then that newly linked contact to brian b and it would show me brian b in my contacts

oh, the phone typically does automatically link contacts, just go into the contact info press the menu key, and then unlink contacts and re-link them in any order ending with the name you want...just play around with the ordering and you will see how it works

you can change the name... it just depends on what order you link your contacts in...

the contact name will take on the last linked contact name:
for instance if you had say: brian, brian b, brian backley and they were all the same person and i want brian b as the contact name i would link brian to brian backley, then that newly linked contact to brian b and it would show me brian b in my contacts

Not for me. No matter which I link first, second, last or what contact I start with it only let's Facebook be the dominant contact profile. I've tried basically every way possible to try and get google to be the dominate profile and its always a no go.

it doesnt matter the order for me either, I still end up with the stupid twitter name as the display name in the phone. So annoying!!!

maybe its the twitter client...i don't have twitter and i can have whatever the last contact name i link be the one displayed

hmm so maybe if I delete my "twitter" app and use tweetcaster or something it might clean that up? Anyone else know if this is true or not?

I've noticed (on Droid2) that it always picks the last name in alphabetical order. So for example I have my dad as a phone contact ("dad") and FB contact (full name starts with an S) and it picks the full FB name. OTOH, my Uncle is listed in phone contacts as "Uncle E" and in FB as his full name starting with "E". In contacts list it displays "Uncle E." This is very stupid and you should be able to pick which name you want.

I just bought the droid pro and the Twitter name always shows up in the contact list instead of the person's actual name. I can't change it. Very annoying. Please help!

Im still looking for a solution to this as well!! I hate it! Noboby uses their real name as their twitter handle, so it is confusing to figure out who the contact really is!

Not sure if this will help....
I have an EVO, on the page I link my contacts there is a drop down menu at the top to select the name to be displayed.

C'mon just get an HTC phone :P

Here's the only way I know of that works.

Create a phone contact with the name you want to be displayed. Don't put any other info in, just the name. Join that to the contact. The name you created will take precedence.

Hope this helps!

I will have to try this out! But, on my Galaxy S2 it only allows 5 contacts to be joined, and with Google, facebook, linkedIn, Twitter, whatsapp, and others, Im already at 5 contacts so I cant add another one. Have you came across anything else that might work to get around only joining 5 contacts?

Haven't had that particular challenge myself so I can't speak to it, sorry!!

I will have to try this out! But, on my Galaxy S2 it only allows 5 contacts to be joined, and with Google, facebook, linkedIn, Twitter, whatsapp, and others, Im already at 5 contacts so I cant add another one. Have you came across anything else that might work to get around only joining 5 contacts?

Back
Top Bottom