• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts have been renamed randomly.

Hi
Most of my contact names have changed to some random names and I dont know how to fix it.
eg.
  • Person A and Person B swapped names so the contact details don't match.
  • Person A has now two entries, first one is the original and second one is with contact number of Person B.
  • Some of contacts have merged there names to make a 3rd contact with a randomly saved number.
  • I came to know about this when I saw someone else's pic with some other's name on my whatsapp contacts.
  • This has happened with me again, at first I corrected all my contacts manually, but it is a leangthy process and Its not possible to differentiate between the original and fake entry unless u recall the contact number.
  • Resetting does not give the permanent solution.

I've had issues with contacts on my phone not saving and being lost recently, i was advised to go to my google account on a pc and try to amend it that way, seemed to work for me. might be worth a try.

Hi
Most of my contact names have changed to some random names and I dont know how to fix it.
eg.
  • Person A and Person B swapped names so the contact details don't match.
  • Person A has now two entries, first one is the original and second one is with contact number of Person B.
  • Some of contacts have merged there names to make a 3rd contact with a randomly saved number.
  • I came to know about this when I saw someone else's pic with some other's name on my whatsapp contacts.
  • This has happened with me again, at first I corrected all my contacts manually, but it is a leangthy process and Its not possible to differentiate between the original and fake entry unless u recall the contact number.
  • Resetting does not give the permanent solution.

I have not had this problem. I use Google contacts on the PC and the Moto G3 2015. Did your contact list begin life on your PC? In what application? Did the contact list ever work correctly on the phone? Is the contact list on the PC scrambled also? It would seem also that you want to be very sure Google contacts on your phone and whatever your contact list on the PC are known to be compatible. Sorry I can't help you but answering these questions and supplying any other pertinent info will help someone else help you.

I once had a similar problem because I was using only 'phone contacts' list.
then I changed phones, added Google contacts, and then Yahoo decided to merge everything which really mucked everything up.

I had to delete everything everywhere, and do a restore from a backup I had, and imported that into Google Contacts. Once that was done, I have rejected every other app from being able to see Google Contacts.

and all has been well since.

I also had a similar issue with contacts.

However with myself it was mainly due to switching phones form a Windows to a Droid. I had a hell of a time persuading it to import the data. When it finally did, a number of contacts either did not have the correct contact details or were incorrectly merged.

Had to spend a couple of days comparing the data and copy / pasting if necessary. As well as removing the merging.

If you have a source of correct data, this might be your only solution.

I use Go Contact Sync from Source Forge to syncs my Outlook contacts and schedule to Google. I then use standard Google to sync each of my phones with the data.

I can change contact or schedule on either my phone or workstation will show up correctly on the other device.

I've used this for a few years.

It is at ... https://sourceforge.net/projects/googlesyncmod/

... Thom

Back
Top Bottom