• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Credit Card Fraud Alert

AugieTN

Extreme Android User
Dec 9, 2022
Illinois Home & Tennessee RV Home
Last week I drove down to Tennessee. I had to stop driving before Tennessee due to severe weather, and I got a hotel room. I have one credit card that I use for hotel rooms. Today I went to pay that credit card online and I also noted a $3.79 charge from Amazon Prime 888-802-3080. I don't have Amazon Prime. I googled that phone number and got this:

"....Some of them have 888-802-3080 listed in the transaction.. This is a large scale international fraud. When you call that number they pretend its Amazon and even send you a follow up email using Amazon template. According to Amazon Support this is not an Amazon number and they don't have any records of these transactions.May 20, 2023..."

I called the bank and reported the fraud. Since this has been going on for over a year I'm surprised the bank doesn't have a stop in place for the phone number, 888-802-3080 on a transaction.

Last edited:
I just realized something crazy about the Amazon Prime charge. I get a push notification on all transactions on that credit card. I just double checked my push notifications and I never got a notification on the Amazon Prime charge, but I got a notification on the Hotel charge. I can't check to see if there was a minimum limit right now since the account is closed.

I have two other credit cards with push notification checked and there is no minimum limit. It's just on or off.

I’m convinced the Amazon Prime charge piggy backed on the hotel charge. Like a virus on the hotel computer, so a push transaction alert was not sent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They may well have a skimmer attached that they don’t know about that is piggybacked to their wireless. They do the little transaction and if it works then they sell the credentials on the dark web. If you catch it soon enough, the dark web buyer loses out.

There was a gas station I used to go to, it was an independent that sold 76 gas and always had good prices. I got skimmed there once and figured it was a one-off since I only went to that station when I was in the area. My next visit was okay, but about six months later I got gas there and got skimmed again. I haven’t been back since.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones