• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Currently Rooted Droid X2 on 2.3.4 does not receive 2.3.5 update

HitFactor

My DX2 is rooted 2.3.4.

I have defrosted everything and using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper I have backed up root and temporarily disabled root. The problem is system update says update is not available at this time. What am I missing so I can update?

TIA

I see you defrosted things, but did you remove any bloatware at all? If so, you're going to have to SBF back to 2.3.4 because if/when you receive the update, it won't take when you try to apply it.

Also, what root tools did you use? If you used Zergrush tools, then that is a big problem as it moves some system files to make room for it's exploit. That will definitely NOT allow the update to take. You MUST use Pete's Motorola Tools to root your droid. Yes, it's slower (three reboots as opposed to one for Zergrush), but it's safer and doesn't have any side effects like Zergrush does.

In any case, if you haven't received the update yet, I'm assuming you are on stock 2.3.4? If so, from what I understand, the update is pushed out based on your phones MIN or something like that. I know for me, it took about a week or so for the update to finally show up on my phone.

If worse comes to worse, you can get it here (this is a legit copy of the file):

Blur_Version.1.3.380.MB870.Verizon.en.US.zip

Don't freak about the 380 in the name. I did because I thought it SHOULD have said 418, but when I received the actual update, I saw that it had the EXACT same name. Just to be safe, I saved my update onto my PC and compared it to the file from the link above and they are exactly the same. The file actually came from Nitro who is the person that compiles and distributes the Eclipse ROM for the X2, so that definitely makes it legit.

I did use Pete's tools to root. No removal of bloat just freezing.

Thanks for the link. I might use that instead of waiting.

My wife's DX2 received the update 5 days ago and we purchased them at the same time.

I thought I knew what to do with that ZIP, but it turns out I don't.

My impatience got the better of me. I did a couple Searches, but I was not successful, my search terms must be off. Can you point me in the direction on how to use it?

TIA

I thought I knew what to do with that ZIP, but it turns out I don't.

My impatience got the better of me. I did a couple Searches, but I was not successful, my search terms must be off. Can you point me in the direction on how to use it?

TIA

First, copy the zip file to your external sd card.

Next, you need to boot into the stock recovery. If you don't know how to do this, follow these steps. These are from my memory, so mileage may vary, but I've done it so much now it's like second nature so I don't even think of the steps:

1. Power down your Droid X2
  2. Push and hold Power + Volume Down while powering up, until "Fast Boot" appears at the top of the screen, then release both buttons.
  3. Push Volume Down 7 times to scroll to "Android Recovery"
  4. Push Volume Up to select.
  5. Push and hold Volume Up + Volume Down to access the Recovery Menu.
  6. Next, push the Volume Down button to select the "Apply Update from SD Card" menu option.
  7. Press the power button to select the menu option
  8. It will then bring up a directory listing of your external SD Card. Scroll using the Up and Down Volume buttons until you find the update zip file. Once it's highlighted, press the power button and follow the directions.
  9. Reboot when done.

Hope this helps!

Thank You.

I'm getting the following error

Verifying current system...
asert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/AdServicee.apk". (then a long hex number)
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Could this be due to a modified hosts file to block ads?

TIA

Looks like I might have deleted adservice.apk. I can't find it on the DX2 with all the other bloat.

Then you're going to have to SBF back to 2.3.4 since you deleted an APK. That is more than likely causing you the problem and not the hosts file.

SBFing, if you've never done it before, can seem VERY intimidating, but it's not all that difficult IF you follow the directions.

Rather than me spelling it out for you, here is an excellent resource on how to do it:

HowTo: Perform a SBF ("factory restore") of your Motorola Droid X2 - xda-developers

It's a lot to read. Trust me. Read it before trying any of it. The first time can be VERY daunting, but if you read the instructions CAREFULLY, you'll see it's not all that bad, especially once you get through it.

You can ignore the 2.2.2, 2.2.3 SBFs. You want the 2.3.4 SBF to get you back to stock ROM so you can then apply the 2.3.5 update.

NOTE: This WILL erase your contacts, messages, etc and any apps you've installed. Anything on your SD cards (internal and external) will be left alone. So, if you need to, back up your contacts. You can do so via Google so that you can then restore them back to your phone after you've SBFed.

SBF will also remove ANY traces of rooting done to your phone, so you'll have to root once you've SBF'ed to 2.3.4 and then of course, VooDoo your SU, upgrade to 2.3.5 and restore SU.

I downloaded an AdService.Apk and put it in the correct folder and tried again. But the result was the same error as above.

Reset my hosts file to just localhosts, no success there either.

You're going to have to SBF because the update is finding something that isn't right with your installation. That is the ONLY way you'll get the update to apply. Since you've messed with system files, I think you are at a point of no return without SBFing back to 2.3.4.

Don't freak about the 380 in the name. I did because I thought it SHOULD have said 418, but when I received the actual update, I saw that it had the EXACT same name.

I was all "huh?" when I saw the 380 also. After playing with some of the other unofficial 2.3.5 updates I noticed the update files named the version that was required to run the update from, not the update version I was updating to. So I renamed the files in the sticky that more accurately explained the updates. Just an FYI.

I just saw this thread, I am experiencing the same issue attempting to update my rooted dx2. I did remove the bloat and several other programs I didn't use . Now myverizon hangs when I try to check my plan info on the "gatherong resources " screen. I want to use the sbf to return to stock to fix this problem; as well as receive the ota update , however i can't find a good link with the {sbf 2.3.4} can someone please post? Also, I have voodoo rootkeeper ,and the chinese rom manager installed, , nandroid backup working and confirmed, will I lose any combination of those by reverting back to stock via the sbf 2.3.4? Any insight is appreciated.

I just saw this thread, I am experiencing the same issue attempting to update my rooted dx2. I did remove the bloat and several other programs I didn't use . Now myverizon hangs when I try to check my plan info on the "gatherong resources " screen. I want to use the sbf to return to stock to fix this problem; as well as receive the ota update , however i can't find a good link with the {sbf 2.3.4} can someone please post? Also, I have voodoo rootkeeper ,and the chinese rom manager installed, , nandroid backup working and confirmed, will I lose any combination of those by reverting back to stock via the sbf 2.3.4? Any insight is appreciated.

Yeah, you'll lose everything on your phone, it will put your phone in a just-out-of-the-box state. The only thing that won't be affected are your sd-cards, they will keep the information on them, they won't get wiped. When I flash, I use MyBackup to save all my data (contacts, mms, call logs, etc.) and Titanium Backup to save my apps. When I'm all done, I can restore everything.

And you can find SBFs in the sticky in this forum. And if you want 2.3.5 rooted, look here. Remember, you need to keep all bloatware on your phone in order to successfully update, that's a big reason lots of people freeze those apps instead of deleting them.

Back
Top Bottom