• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom Ringtones for Contacts

elgecko

Android Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2012
PA, USA
I had this question buried in a different thread and decided to make a post just for this question to get it more noticeable and hopefully get an answer.

I have all the ringtones that I want to use for my contacts on my phone on the SDcard under a folder named media / audio / ringtones

I'll list them here to help you see whats happening.
Default ringtone - The Who - Who are You?
Contacts (not work) - Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Contacts (Work) - Rush - Working Man

I'm using the default contact.apk in the BACKside ROM, which I believe to be the stock one as well.

I'll ask this question first because I'm not sure that I have done it in the correct order.....
It does not appear that when saving your contacts as a vcard it saves your ringtone setting for your contacts. Does anyone know for sure if it does or not?
After flashing my stock ROM to a custom ROM I may have imported my contacts before setting my default ringtone (The Who) which is why I'm not sure the vcard saves the ringtone you want for each contact.

If it does save the ringtone then we can stop here, my question is answered and I just have to remember to set the default ringtone (The Who) before importing my contact vcard.

If the vcard does not save ringtones set for your contacts then I want to ask the following question: I want my contacts to have a different ringtone (Led Zep). Is there a program to batch set the contacts after you have the phones default ringtone (The Who) set?

Someone suggested Zedge. I looked at it quickly but it seemed I could only set the ringtone with songs I downloaded from Zedge. It also did not look like it was possible to batch set contacts. Did I miss it in my quick look at it?

Basically the quick question to all the above rambling, after the phone has a default ringtone set, can you batch your contacts with a different ringtone?

I know this problem will not happen often, but it is a pain to set each ringtone for your contacts when you have over 100.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones